[MARMAM] UK Regional Student Chapter of the SMM Annual Meeting 2012

UK Regional Student Chapter for the Society of Marine Mammals ukrsc at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 06:18:29 PST 2011

 *2012 Annual Meeting of the UK Regional Student Chapter of the Society for
Marine Mammalogy: University of St Andrews, 1st-3rd February 2012*

We would like to announce that the annual meeting of the UK Regional
Student Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy will be held at the Sea
Mammal Research Unit, University of St Andrews from the 1st to the 3rd of
February 2012.  An Icebreaker will be held on the evening of the 31st of
January.

We encourage all students registered in Universities across the UK and
Ireland that are interested in marine mammal research to attend. The
atmosphere of the conference is relatively informal, giving students a
platform to discuss their research with other students and researchers.

Postgraduate students are invited to submit abstracts for oral
presentations.  For planning purposes, we have divided presentations into
5-10 minute and 15-20 minute slots.  We encourage new postgraduate students
to talk about their future research plans using the 5-10 minute slots and
for those further along in their studies to present for 15-20 minutes.
Undergraduates with an interest in the field are also welcome to
attend.  The talks traditionally vary in content: from talks by new
students discussing their future plans or the basis of their project, to
students whose Ph.D.’s are near completion.  Our guest speakers include Dr
Luke Rendell (EU Postdoctoral Research Fellow at St Andrews University) and
Dr Gordon Hastie (Senior Research Scientist at SMRU Ltd and the Scottish
Oceans Institute), and the subject of a workshop will be announced nearer
the time. Please visit our website for updates (
www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~ukrscgrp/ <http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/%7Eukrscgrp/>).
The final deadline for presentation abstracts (max 300 words) will be the
5th of January 2012.

There is no registration fee and you don’t need to be an existing member of
the Chapter – you can register for the Chapter at the same time as
registering for the conference.  Registration forms can be downloaded from
our website at www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~ukrscgrp/.<http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/%7Eukrscgrp/>
Please submit your registration form by e-mail attachment to
ukrsc at st-andrews.ac.uk before the 5th of January 2012.

For those members traveling to St Andrews, we will provide a list of
accommodation options before the Christmas holidays, and directions to St
Andrews will be available on our website soon.

If you have any further questions regarding the meeting, please don't
hesitate to get in touch (ukrsc at st-andrews.ac.uk).

Hope to see you all in St Andrews in Feburary,

With best wishes,

The committee of the UK Regional Student Chapter for the Society for Marine
Mammalogy
--
UKRSC Chapter Contact
c/o Sea Mammal Research Unit