[MARMAM] Research Technician in Marine Mammal Evolution and Conservation ++ University of Groningen, the Netherlands

Per J Palsboll p.j.palsboll at rug.nl
Thu Dec 1 04:04:58 PST 2011

*Research Technician 0,6fte*

The University of Groningen is one of the largest and oldest research
universities in the Netherlands. It ranks among the top 200 Universities
in the world (The Times World University Rankings, 2010-2011). The
Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Studies (CEES) at the Faculty of
Mathematics and Natural Sciences with the University of Groningen
invites applications for a position as a research technician placed at
the research group Marine Evolution and Conservation (MarECON).
MarECON's main research focus is the evolution and conservation of
marine mammals. The group has excellent laboratory facilities for
molecular analyses.

*Research description*

We are recruiting a Research Technician for our general research program
which utilizes marine mammals, in particularly the large whales, to
study the population genetics and evolution in the marine realm. The
ultimate goal is to understand the mechanisms driving population genetic
structuring and local adaptation of long-range migrating mammals. Many
aspects of our research have conservation implications as well.

*Qualifications*

We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated co-worker, who
enjoys acquiring new skills and enjoys working with a team of
researchers and students. He /she should have a Bachelor or Masters
degree in Biology (HLO) or related field. The ideal candidate will have
experience with (or the ability to acquire) modern molecular genetic
methods and instrumentation employed in evolutionary and population
genetics such as prepare libraries for next generation sequencing,
Sanger sequencing, STR genotyping and cloning. Experience with database
management is preferred and a good command of written and spoken English
necessary.

*Additional information*

For more information contact Dr. Per Palsboll
(mailto:p.j.palsboll at rug.nl) or Dr. Martine Berube (m.berube at rug.nl
<mailto:m.berube at rug.nl>).

*Conditions of employment***

The University of Groningen offers a salary dependent on qualifications
and work experience starting at EUR 1986 gross per month up to maximum
of EUR 2682 (scale 7, step 10) gross per month for a 100% employment.
This position is defined according to the UFO function profile
'Onderwijs-/onderzoeksmedewerker'. The part-time (60%) appointment is
initially for a fixed period of 3 years and subject to an evaluation
after the first year.

*Application*

The application should be written in English including a personal
motivation, curriculum vitae, as well as the names and addresses of
three referees (including telephone number and email address). The
application should be emailed to: vmp at rug.nl <mailto:vmp at rug.nl>. The
reference number is 211195and teh application date January 2nd, 2012.

--
Per J. Palsboll, Professor

Marine Evolution and Conservation
Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Studies
University of Groningen
Nijenborgh 7
9747 AG Groningen
The Netherlands