[MARMAM] new paper - population structure of Hawaiian bottlenose dolphins

Karen Martien Karen.Martien at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 30 10:40:54 PDT 2011

Dear list members,

The paper below is now available in Early View from Marine Mammal Science.

Martien, Karen K., Robin W. Baird, Nicole M. Hedrick, Antoinette M.
Gorgone, Janet L. Thieleking, Daniel J. McSweeney, Kelly M. Robertson,
Daniel L. Webster. 2011. Population structure of island-associated
dolphins: evidence from mitochohndrial and microsatellite markers for
common bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) around the main Hawaiian
Islands.  Marine Mammal Science. DOI: 10.111/j.1748-7692.2011.00506.x

We used mitochondrial and nuclear genetic markers to investigate
population structure of common bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus,
around the main Hawai- ian Islands. Though broadly distributed
throughout the world's oceans, bottlenose dolphins are known to form
small populations in coastal waters. Recent photo- identification data
suggest the same is true in Hawaiian waters. We found genetic
differentiation among (mtDNA ?ST = 0.014--0.141, microsatellite F'ST =
0.019-- 0.050) and low dispersal rates between (0.17--5.77 dispersers
per generation) the main Hawaiian Island groups. Our results are
consistent with movement rates estimated from photo-identification data
and suggest that each island group supports a demographically
independent population. Inclusion in our analyses of samples collected
near Palmyra Atoll provided evidence that the Hawaiian Islands are also
occasionally visited by members of a genetically distinct, pelagic
population. Two of our samples exhibited evidence of partial ancestry
from Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (T. aduncus), a species not known
to inhabit the Hawaiian Archipelago. Our findings have important
implications for the management of Hawaiian bottlenose dolphins and
raise concerns about the vulnerability to human impacts of pelagic
species in island ecosystems.

The paper is available at the following website:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-7692.2011.00506.x/abstract

--
Karen K. Marten
Southwest Fisheries Science Center