[MARMAM] workshop announcement and call for posters

Mark Baumgartner mbaumgartner at whoi.edu
Tue Aug 16 05:59:16 PDT 2011

Workshop Announcement:  "Ecological Modeling For Marine Mammalogists"
November 26, 2011 (Saturday)
Tampa Bay Convention Center
Tampa, Florida
Registration Fee: $30 US (register here)

The "Ecological Modeling for Marine Mammalogists" workshop will follow
on the successful 2009 workshop of the same name, and will represent
the sixth Biennial workshop devoted to spatial modeling. There is
tremendous interest in applying statistical modeling techniques to the
quantitative assessment of marine mammal distribution and habitat use,
and our workshop seeks to explore both traditional and the latest
methodologies. Our goal is to bring together practitioners that can
share their experience with various approaches to ecological modeling
by addressing topics ranging from collecting data, selecting the
appropriate model, evaluating the model's results, and applying those
results in a research or management context. The workshop format will
consist of formal presentations followed by discussions during which
particular methodologies can be meaningfully explored by all
participants. We will also include a Project Forum wherein students
and researchers new to modeling can present their projects in poster
format and discuss the statistical challenges they are facing with
other workshop participants. For information about the 2011 workshop
as well as past workshops, please visit http://www.whoi.edu/sites/marinemammalmodeling
.  Participants can register for this workshop here.

CALL FOR PROJECT FORUM POSTERS
We are accepting abstracts (max 300 words) for posters outlining
research that addresses applications of statistical tools and modeling
approaches for marine mammals.  We are particularly interested in
poster presentations by students seeking input and discussion on
statistical methodology, but presentations from non-students are
certainly most welcome.  These posters will be used in a session, as
described above, where other researchers, including the workshop
organizers, can discuss and supply feedback and advice.  We also
welcome posters that discuss innovative tool and/or model
development.  Posters that will be later presented at the Biennial
Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals are welcome.  Presenters
will be expected to give a brief 2-minute oral presentation
summarizing their project, after which they will stand by their
poster.  Please send abstracts by September 30 to Kristin Laidre at klaidre at apl.washington.edu
.

Workshop organizing committee:
Kathy Vigness Raposa