[MARMAM] new publication on common dolphins, overfishing and fisheries management in the Mediterranean Sea

Chiara Piroddi piropiro12 at yahoo.it
Fri Aug 5 01:55:45 PDT 2011

Dear Marmam colleagues,

The following paper has been published on Biological Conservation:

>From common to rare: The case of the Mediterranean common dolphin
Chiara Piroddi, Giovanni Bearzi, Joan Gonzalvo and Villy Christensen

Abstract

Although overfishing  has been recognized as responsible for the decline of
major fish stocks,  it has been less easy to demonstrate its indirect and
detrimental  effects on marine mammals, particularly dolphins. Competition with
fisheries for the same food resources has been hypothesized to have led  to the
decline of several species of dolphins, including the endangered  Mediterranean
short-beaked common dolphin. Based on an ecosystem model  for the Inner Ionian
Sea Archipelago, a former hotspot for common  dolphins in the Mediterranean Sea,
we investigated the effect of  increasing fishing effort on common dolphins, its
prey and on marine  biodiversity and we evaluated the outcomes of different
fisheries  closures (1 – closure of the purse seine fishery, 2 – closure of
purse  seine, trawl and beach seine fisheries, 3 – entire area closed to
fisheries) ran between the years 2011 and 2030. Our results showed that  local
fisheries have negatively impacted the marine biodiversity of the  ecosystem
causing sharp declines of common dolphins and major fish  stocks and weakening
the robustness of the marine food web. The  implementation of fisheries closures
would gradually recover fish  stocks, while common dolphins would increase more
pronouncedly only if  the study area was to be closed to all fisheries. As shown
in this  study, common dolphins have reflected ecosystem changes and degradation
over time. Ensuring the survival of dolphin populations is thereby  essential to
enhance marine ecosystems and ensure sustainable fishing.
PDF copy can be downloaded from the journal website:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320711002564
or you can request a copy by emailing me at: c.piroddi at fisheries.ubc.ca

Best Regards,

Chiara