[MARMAM] Research assistant in the Strait of Gibraltar

CIRCE Philippe Verborgh philippeverborgh at yahoo.fr
Mon Apr 25 03:18:09 PDT 2011

Dear Marmamers,

The research group CIRCE (http://www.circe.info) offers the possibility to take
part in a field course on cetacean research techniques as a research assistant
in the Strait of Gibraltar.

CIRCE has been studying the seven species of cetaceans inhabiting the waters of
the Strait of Gibraltar since 1998 and has already gained a lot of knowledge on
these populations.

The Strait of Gibraltar is an amazing place to study cetaceans since 4 species
(long-finned pilot whales, bottlenose, common and striped dolphins) are resident
and use a small area all year round at about 30 min from shore. In Spring-Summer
killer and sperm whales also join the area for foraging purposes while fin
whales are migrating through the Strait.

We are offering you the opportunity to spend 12 days (or more) with our team of
experts in the field and at the research station to learn all about the
cetaceans of the Strait of Gibraltar.

Activities will include but are not limited to:
•    General presentations on the cetaceans inhabiting the Strait of Gibraltar
•    Presentation of the different methodologies to study these species
(photo-ID, biopsy sampling, diet using stable isotopes, population genetics…)

•    Presentation of the latest results from our research and their contribution
to the conservation of the species of the Strait
•    Presentation of all the ongoing research projects
•    Boat-based surveys and data collection at sea whenever the weather
conditions are suitable

No previous knowledge about cetacean and/or marine science is required as we
will adapt the presentations and missions according to the level of knowledge of
the participants. However a good mood and enthusiasm is welcome.

Lectures will be available in English, French or Spanish.

You will find all the information about dates, what is included in the price
etc. on our website (available also in French and Spanish):
http://www.circe.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94&Itemid=200&lang=en

Scientific publications can also be found on our website (available also in
French and Spanish):
http://www.circe.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84&Itemid=179&lang=en

Don’t miss this unique opportunity to meet researchers in the field and to enjoy
the amazing wildlife of the Strait of Gibraltar!

For more information you can contact us at:
philippeATcirce.biz

 Philippe VERBORGH
CIRCE (Conservation, Information and Research on Cetaceans)
C/ Cabeza de Manzaneda, 3
11390 Pelayo-Algeciras
Cádiz
Spain