[MARMAM] Veterinary Internship, Mystic Aquarium

Tuttle, Allison atuttle at searesearch.org
Fri Apr 15 09:39:35 PDT 2011

Veterinary Internship / Research Opportunities at Mystic Aquarium

With the assistance of both external and in-house funding, the Department of Animal Care of Mystic Aquarium, a division of Sea Research Foundation, Inc., is sponsoring a one-year Veterinary Internship in Aquatic Animal Medicine and Research. Applicants for the internship should be graduates of an AVMA-accredited veterinary college or ECFVG certified. All applicants should have successfully passed the NAVLE. Preference will be given to applicants with graduate degrees and/or postgraduate clinical experience in a practice or internship setting. Entry level familiarity with ultrasound, radiology, and endoscopy systems is expected. The stipend for the position is expected to be $26,000 per annum plus benefits.

The successful applicant will assist the veterinary, research, and husbandry staffs in the diagnosis and treatment of medical cases from the Aquarium's extensive collection of invertebrates, fresh and saltwater fishes, reptiles, amphibians, penguins, seals, sea lions, and beluga whales. In addition the intern will participate in our rescue, rehabilitation, and release program for stranded marine mammals and sea turtles. Collateral opportunities at cooperating area academic, government, and private industry laboratories as well as zoos are possible and encouraged. The intern will have an opportunity to develop teaching skills by his/her involvement in the Aquarium's veterinary externship program and at informal seminars and college lectures. The intern will be expected to pursue one or more clinical or research interests and to prepare the results for presentation to our staff and at an appropriate professional meeting as well as for publication in the peer reviewed literature. Past interns have gone on to acceptance into well-recognized graduate/residency programs or employment in the field of aquatic, comparative, or zoological medicine.

Applicants should submit the following material to:

Allison D. Tuttle, DVM, Diplomate ACZM
Staff Veterinarian & Director of Animal Care
Mystic Aquarium, a division of Sea Research Foundation, Inc.
55 Coogan Boulevard
Mystic, CT 06355
Email: atuttle at mysticaquarium.org<mailto:atuttle at mysticaquarium.org>
1.    A current transcript from the veterinary school and any post-baccalaureate program which he/she has attended.
2.     Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's academic performance and his/her potential in the clinical and research arenas. At least two of the letters must be written by a veterinarian.
3.     A cover letter/statement reflecting the applicant's goals in the area of aquatic animal medicine and research.
4.     A current curriculum vitae

Potential applicants who will be in the southern New England area are encouraged to contact us for a tour of our facilities and a chance to meet with our staff. All application materials must be received prior to 01 May 2011, with a decision being made by May 15, 2011.  The internship period will extend approximately from 13 June 2011 through 30 June 2012- the schedule may or may not be flexible to suit individual needs. With prior agreement by both parties an additional year in the program may be possible. Additional information may be obtained by calling Dr. Tuttle at 860-572-5955 X101, or by e-mail at atuttle at mysticaquarium.org<mailto:atuttle at mysticaquarium.org>. A general orientation to our facility and programs can be obtained by viewing our web page http://www.mysticaquarium.org<http://www.mysticaquarium.org/>. Mystic is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer.

Allison D. Tuttle, DVM, Diplomate ACZM
Staff Veterinarian & Director of Animal Care
860.572.5955 X 101; fax: 860.572.5972
www.mysticaquarium.org<http://www.mysticaquarium.org/>