[MARMAM] Recent publication: North Pacific sperm whale population structure

Sarah Mesnick Sarah.Mesnick at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 14 21:08:56 PDT 2011

Dear colleagues: we are pleased to announce the recent publication of
"Sperm whale population structure in the eastern and central North
Pacific inferred by the use of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs),
microsatellites and mitochondrial DNA." in a special issue of Molecular
Ecology Resources on SNP development in non-model organisms.

The article can be obtained from the journal website
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-0998.2010.02973.x/abstract

or by contacting Sarah.Mesnick at Noaa.gov

Reference
Mesnick, S.L., Taylor, B.L., Archer, F.I., Martien, K.K., Escorza
Trevino, W., Hancock-Hanser, B.L., Moreno Medina, S.C., Pease, V.L.,
Robertson, K.M., Straley, J.M., Baird, R.W., Calambokidis, J., Schorr,
G.S., Wade, P., Burkanov, V., Lunsford, C.R., Rendell, L. and Morin,
P.A.2011. Sperm whale population structure in the eastern and central
North Pacific inferred by the use of single nucleotide polymorphisms
(SNPs), microsatellites and mitochondrial DNA. Molecular Ecology
Resources11 (Supplement 1): 278--298.

Abstract
We use mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) (400 bp), six microsatellites and 36
single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), 20 of which were linked, to
investigate population structure of sperm whales (Physeter
macrocephalus) in the eastern and central North Pacific. SNP markers,
reproducible across technologies and laboratories, are ideal for
long-term studies of globally distributed species such as sperm whales,
a species of conservation concern because of both historical and
contemporary impacts. We estimate genetic differentiation among three
strata in the temperate to tropical waters where females are found:
California Current, Hawai`i and the eastern tropical Pacific.We then
consider how males on sub-Arctic foraging grounds assign to these
strata. The California Current stratum was differentiated from both the
other strata (P < 0.05) for mtDNA, microsatellites and SNPs, suggesting
that the region supports a demographically independent population and
providing the first indication that males may exhibit reproductive
philopatry. Comparisons between the Hawai`i stratum and the eastern
tropical Pacific stratum are not conclusive at this time. Comparisons
with Alaska males were statistically significant, or nearly so, from all
three strata and individuals showed mixed assignment to, and few
exclusions from, the three potential source strata, suggesting
widespread origin of males on sub-Arctic feeding grounds.We show that
SNPs have sufficient power to detect population structure even when
genetic differentiation is low. There is a need for better analytical
methods for SNPs, especially when linked SNPs are used, but SNPs appear
to be a  valuable marker for long-term studies of globally dispersed and
highly mobile species.

Sarah L. Mesnick, PhD
Southwest Fisheries Science Center, NOAA Fisheries Service
La Jolla * Santa Cruz * Pacific Grove
http://swfsc.noaa.gov

sarah.mesnick at noaa.gov

3333 N. Torrey Pines Court