[MARMAM] New places available in Research Expedition in Norway

Marta Acosta bigjimna at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 9 12:26:41 PDT 2011

JOIN A RESEARCH EXPEDITION IN NORWAY

3 new research assistant placements are available to join boat based
expeditions in Norway.

Aims of the expedition and itinerary

The
aim of this expedition is to conduct a survey during which we will collect data
on marine mammal distribution along the North coast of Norway. Data will be
used by several students working currently on their PhD and Master´s thesis in
Whale Safari Andenes, Norway. This expedition is organized in collaboration
with La Isla de los Delfines (www.laisladelosdelfines.com).

We
will sail out from Tromsø harbor, and during 7 days of navigation we will pass
through the areas of high concentration of cetaceans along the coast of the Vesterålen
and Lofoten islands, like the Bleik Canyon, a key feeding ground for sperm
whales. In the area we might also encounter killer whales, Atlantic white-sided
dolphins, white beaked dolphins, pilot whales, porpoises, fin whales, minke
whales and humpback whales. We will conduct visual and acoustic surveys, and work
on the photo identification of sperm whales and killer whales. We will spend
the night at a different harbor each day, allowing us to explore the wild
coasts of these islands.

The itinerary is subjected to weather conditions, as sometimes the sea
state may oblige us to stay on land. In this case, additional activities will
be proposed.

Dates

·
16th – 24th June 2011

·
19th – 27th September 2011

The boat and life on board

Best Explorer is a 15 m long sailing boat that
has been used for sailing across remote areas in Northern Norway and the Arctic
during the past years. It has a capacity for 12 persons and is perfectly
equipped to conduct research surveys.

More info: www.bestexpeditions.net

The boat is equipped with 3
showers and a full kitchen. As space might be limited, we recommend bringing
reduced luggage.

Participant requirements and duties

Participants will help during the survey in effort and marine mammal data
collection and analysis. During the expedition we will expend cca 10h a day
working on the survey. Participants will learn how to design surveys and data
sheets, use GPS, recognize marine mammal species, gather behavior data,
individual identification of cetaceans and sailing skills among other tasks.

We will enjoy local nature and landscapes through excursions the rest of
the time, the midnight sun in June, and northern lights in September.

During the expedition,
participants will be provided with lectures about marine mammals, cetaceans and
training in research techniques. A boat safety lecture will be also arranged on
the first day of the expedition.

Anyone with an interest in getting actively involved in marine mammal
research can join the expedition. Though no prior experience in the marine
mammal field is necessary, it will be considered a plus.

The applicants should be aware of the weather conditions on the
Norwegian sea, which can sometimes be rough, so we discourage people who suffer
from seasickness to apply.

Applicants will be accepted on a first come – first served basis.

Participation fee

Unfortunately, the budget of this project is very limited, so there is a
fee of 1500 euros per participant strictly to cover the boat expenses.

The fee includes travel insurance, accommodation on board in 3-4 persons
cabins, and boat expenses (e.g: rental fee, crew salary, oil, harbor fees).
Food expenses will not be covered, but we will keep these expenses low by
arranging community meals.

As the participation fee only covers boat expenses calculated on the
basis of 7 participants, we need to fill all the assistant positions for the
expedition to take place.

For more information and application, please contact:

macostaplata at gmail.com

Marta Acosta

Researcher

Whale Safari Andenes