[MARMAM] Volunteers needed to help with fin whale fieldwork in South of Spain (Andalusia)

Pauline Gauffier pauline at circe.biz
Thu Sep 30 05:47:32 PDT 2010

The research group CIRCE (http://www.circe.info) is seeking
applications from 5 volunteers to help with fieldwork on fin whale research in the Strait of Gibraltar
from 14 November to 19 December 2010
(5 weeks)

Project summary

The fin whales observed in the Strait of Gibraltar are in migration between the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean
 Sea and are still recovering from years of hunting. Due to the
high and increasing maritime traffic in the Strait, at least 3 ship strikes
have been observed with fin whales since 1999 and probably more remain unknown.
Therefore, we need to assess for this population the risk of collision with merchant
ships or ferries. We will use theodolite tracking from a land station to find
the main routes for the fin whales as well as any behavioural changes in
relation to boat movements.

Volunteers should be available for the entire period of 5 weeks. You will
be responsible for your transport to and from the main centre, but once here,
we will provide accommodation at the research centre and transport to the land
station. You will be responsible for your food expenses, but we will arrange communal
shopping/cooking so that these expenses will be low. Theoritical and practical training will be provided.

Activities will include land
survey from 9am to 6pm whenever the weather is good and helping with data
management (data entry, photo-ID…) on rainy days.

Successful applicants will:

- have a mature attitude towards
marine mammal research

- be autonomous and quickly
operational

- be able to live and work
constructively with others in a team

- speak fluently Spanish and/or English

- be available for the entire 5-week
period

Preference will be given to those who:

- have previous experience in theodolite handling, including
tracking

- have previous relevant marine
mammal field experience

Applicants should send an email introducing themselves. The email should
include an outline of why you would like to work on this project, your
qualifications and previous experience. Please also attach a brief CV.

Applications will be accepted until 15
October 2010 and then your participation will be confirmed as soon as
possible.

For more information, do not
hesitate to contact me.

All the best

Pauline

Pauline GAUFFIER
CIRCE (Conservation, Information and Research on Cetaceans), SPAIN
http://www.circe.info