[MARMAM] Open Marine Mammal Research Internship Position (The Whale Center of New England)

Kelly Slivka kelly at whalecenter.org
Sat Oct 16 11:15:10 PDT 2010

Marine Mammal Research Internship for Spring 2011
(For a detailed description and application, please see our website at
www.whalecenter.org/research-whales/whale-center-internships.html)

The Whale Center of New England, located in Gloucester, MA, is a
non-profit research organization involved with the study of the
behavior, ecology, and natural history of the whales and dolphins found
in the waters off of Massachusetts.  The Whale Center is also heavily
involved with habitat conservation and public education.  We are
currently looking to fill a research internship position for the Spring
(January 31 - May 27) semester of 2011.

The Whale Center of New England internship provides the experience
needed to further pursue fields in marine biology and animal behavior.
It is our goal to provide college students and recent graduates with the
opportunity to collect valuable information important to the marine
mammal field and to see how this information is used in management and
conservation efforts in this area.  Our Spring internship session offers
a variety of experiences in marine mammal studies.  Typical duties may
include, but are not limited to: extensive photo-identification and
computer work (training provided), field data collection aboard
commercial whale watching vessels and our 42' research vessel The
Mysticete, attendance at necropsies (whale autopsies), marine mammal
stranding response, seal surveys, and attendance at conferences and
meetings.

The internship fee is $1250, and in return, interns will receive housing
in Gloucester within walking distance to the office and boats.  A common
apartment is used, where interns live together and share cooking and
cleaning duties.  Rooms are shared with one other person.  A living
arrangement such as this is conducive to open discussion and interaction
between peers, and home life is often a continuation of the day in the
field.  Also, college credit may be arranged by students through their
department or as an independent research program at their college or
university.  The Whale Center of New England encourages this, and will
take whatever steps are required to facilitate such efforts.

Internship applicants should have the following:
* A background in biology, zoology, or related field
* Some knowledge of research methods and design
* An ability to work, live and communicate well with others
* Enthusiasm and dedication to work long days (sometimes 12 hours or
more) in the field or office
* Completed their freshmen year at the time of application

In order to apply for an internship: please send our application (to be
found at our aforementioned website), a resume or CV, a cover letter
detailing your reason(s) for applying, two letters of recommendation,
and an updated transcript.  Once your application has been received and
assessed, an interview may be arranged to take place during the week of
December 01, 2010. A decision will be made shortly afterward. All
applications must be submitted by Friday, November 19, 2010.  Please
note: internship positions are highly competitive.

Application materials and questions regarding the internship should be
directed to the intern coordinator:

Kelly Slivka
P.O. Box 159
Gloucester, MA 01930