[MARMAM] Study killer whale conservation in 2011

Scott Veirs, Beam Reach lister at beamreach.org
Wed Nov 24 14:28:25 PST 2010

Please forward this under/graduate field research opportunity to your students and friends:

Get off-campus for 10 weeks next spring or fall to study endangered killer whales, their ecosystem, and marine conservation. Apply now to conduct your own research with the Beam Reach Marine Science and Sustainability School.

Beam Reach is for you if you want to:
  -- study endangered orcas and their ecosystem, from salmon to phytoplankton
  -- use advanced bioacoustic tools in your own project
  -- network with experts in killer whale conservation
  -- learn to sail a biodiesel-electric catamaran
  -- explore the San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest
  -- earn 18 credits from the University of Washington

Learn more (audio/video/photos) at our web site:
http://beamreach.org

Or hear all about it from the student blogs!
http://beamreach.org/blog

We are currently accepting applications for the spring 2011 program (March 28 - June 3) and the fall 2011 program (August 22 – October 28).  To apply you should have completed your first year of college, be interested in the marine environment, and want to spend 10 weeks off-campus in an intensive field research experience.

To start your adventure just complete this simple application form.  Upcoming reviews are December 6 and January 3.

Let us know if you have any questions!
Dr. Scott Veirs
info at beamreach.org

Recent publication: Holt, et al. (2009) Killer whales increase their call amplitude in response to vessel noise