[MARMAM] Civilian job opportunity with the Navy Facilities Engineering Command in Hawaii
Hanser, Sean F CIV NAVFAC Pacific, EV
sean.hanser at navy.mil
Sun Nov 21 21:03:23 PST 2010
There is an opening for a Natural Resources Management Specialist with a specialization in marine mammals and/or sea turtles at Naval Facilities Engineering Command at Pearl Harbor. The level is GS-12.
The position responsibilities include:
- participating in marine mammal and sea turtle monitoring and mitigation during Naval exercises
- reviewing and creating NEPA documents generated by the Navy, such as Environmental Impact Statements, Marine Resource Assessments, Biological Assessments, and responses to designation of Critical Habitat
- being a liaison between Naval Facilities Engineering Command Pacific's Natural Resources group and the offices of Pacific Fleet's Environmental Group
- providing input as a subject matter expert on marine mammals and/or sea turtles
- overseeing Navy contracts for monitoring and conservation actions associated with Naval facilities and exercises
- assisting in generating reports summarizing the results of the Navy's marine mammal and sea turtle monitoring program for compliance with the Navy's Letter of Authorizations to operate issued by NMFS
Applicants should have:
- experience in the field with some aspect of marine mammal or sea turtle research; the emphasis for the job is on marine mammals, but knowledge and experience with sea turtles will be viewed positively
- knowledge of NEPA, MMPA, ESA, Section 7 Consultation, and other Federal policies
- strong writing and communication skills
- willingness to develop strong interpersonal skills
- at least a Masters level of education
- GIS skills would be a benefit
- an ecology or ecosystems-focused background is a plus
The position is responsible to anywhere the US Navy (and any other branch of the armed forces) operates in the area outlined by the West Coast of North and South America west to Diego Garcia in the middle of the Indian Ocean and from pole to pole. The position can expect travel up to ~25% of the time. The position is based in Pearl Harbor.
Please send resumes or CVs to me at sean.hanser at navy.mil. We will starting reviewing CVs and interviewing immediately. This position could fill quickly. Because of security screening issues with individuals that are not citizens of the United States, only exceptionally qualified people from outside the United States will be considered for the position.
Thank you for your time.
Sean F. Hanser, PhD
Supervisory Natural Resources Specialist for Marine Resources
Naval Facilities Engineering Command
258 Makalapa Dr., Suite 100
Pearl Harbor, HI 96860-3134
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 5200 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the MARMAM