[MARMAM] Florida Student Chapter of SMM 1st Annual Research Symposium

Bills,Meghan L billsm at ufl.edu
Thu Nov 18 11:58:28 PST 2010

We are pleased to announce the first annual Florida student chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy’s research symposium on January 30, 2011 with an ice breaker January 29th.  This year’s symposium will be hosted by the University of Florida’s Aquatic Animal Health Program in Gainesville, FL. We encourage all students (graduate, undergraduate, professional, etc) actively involved or interested in marine mammal research to attend. This is an informal symposium which will give students the opportunity to present their research in a relaxed environment and to meet and exchange ideas with other students from the state of Florida and surrounding areas. We also have scheduled round table discussions with prominent marine mammal researchers from both the academic and government arena.
Presentation slots will be 12 minutes with 3 minutes for questions. If you wish to present on your current or proposed research project please submit your abstract (300 word maximum) and registration form available at our website<http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/extension/aquatic/events/#conferences> no later than December 20th, 2010 to floridasmm at gmail.com<mailto:floridasmm at gmail.com>. All registration forms for attendees are due by the December 20th date.
In addition to the symposium, there is a planned marine mammal anatomy tutorial and dissection planned for January 31st.  Also, you will have the unique opportunity to attend free-ranging manatee health assessment captures in Crystal River, Florida with Dr. Bob Bonde, USGS Sirenia Project, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission on February 1 or 2, 2011. Preference for both events will be given to those who register early!
To alleviate the cost of room and board, there will be limited free accommodations so again, please register early.
Please check our website<http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/extension/aquatic/events/#conferences> and Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=102486243157815> event page for updates. If you have any questions feel free to contact us at floridasmm at gmail.com<mailto:floridasmm at gmail.com>.
Thank you and we look forward to meeting all of you!
The committee of the Florida Student Chapter for the Society for Marine Mammalogy

Meghan Bills
Doctoral Candidate
University of Florida-College of Veterinary Medicine
PO Box 100136
2015 SW 16th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32610
billsm at ufl.edu