[MARMAM] AESS 2011 Annual Meeting - Call for Proposals Open

Wallace, Richard rwallace at ursinus.edu
Wed Nov 17 08:37:11 PST 2010

Dear Marmam folks:

I am delighted to announce the initial call for proposals for the 2011 annual meeting of the Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences, to be held in Burlington, Vermont in late June 2011. This is the CFP for symposia, panel sessions, workshops, roundtable discussions. There will be a second call (in January) for individual abstracts for oral or poster presentations. More information below and through the links provided.

We hope to continue to foster the participation of the marine science and conservation community, and especially the community of practitioners involved in marine mammal research and management. The U.S. Marine Mammal Commission was a major sponsor of the 2010 AESS annual meeting, and it is our desire to intentionally grow the marine content of the AESS forums, including the annual meeting and our new journal, to be published by Springer.

We are aware that the 2011 AESS meeting comes close on the heels of the 2nd International Marine Conservation Congress being held in British Columbia in May 2011, and hope that you perceive the AESS meeting as a viable alternative for (among other things) East Coast-based folks who are seeking a professional venue closer to home.

Please contact me if you have questions, and apologies for cross-postings!

Cheers,

Rich Wallace

--

Richard L. Wallace, Ph.D.
Program Committee Chair

Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences

 2011 Annual Meeting

"Confronting Complexity"

June 23-26, 2011, Burlington, Vermont

Hosted by the University of Vermont

Call for Session Proposals Now Open!!

Click here for more information on submitting a proposal<http://www.aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=85902&sl=74963319>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CB864B.C620D220]

Featuring Plenary Addresses by

Climatologist Heidi Cullen

and

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (invited)

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CB864B.C620D220]

More on the Conference Theme:

AESS recognizes and embraces complexity as the hallmark of our field. Social, physical, biological and ideological factors in environmental problems are intricately linked, and environmental problems are so tightly interconnected that addressing one invariably affects others.  This limits our predictive capacity and challenges the assumptions embedded in our models of natural and social phenomena.  Engaging in dialogues about complexity presents challenges in both classroom and public sphere. Confronting complexity is critical to our ability to develop effective responses, thus this theme for the AESS 2011 annual meeting.

About the Conference Host:

The University of Vermont, the state's land grant institution, is one of the top green universities in the United States.  It offers numerous environmental majors and is home to 10,000 undergraduates, 1,500 graduate students, and 1,300 faculty.  Located in Burlington, Vermont, the campus and green conference venue are perched on a hill and look west across Lake Champlain to the Adirondacks and east to the Green Mountains.  Downtown is a short shuttle ride or walk from campus with easy access to shops and restaurants.  Burlington is the largest metropolitan area in Vermont and has received high ratings for livability, sustainability, and cultural engagement.

To learn more about AESS or to become an AESS member, click here!<http://www.aess.info/>

If you have questions, please e-mail:

AESS Program Committee Chair Rich Wallace at rwallace at ursinus.edu<mailto:rwallace at ursinus.edu>

or