[MARMAM] The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, CA is looking for a Research Associate/Necropsy Manager
GroningerH at tmmc.org
Mon Nov 8 14:35:25 PST 2010
RESEACH ASSOCIATE / NECROPSY MANAGER
The Marine Mammal Center, an equal opportunity, non-profit employer located in Sausalito, California, is seeking a Research Associate/Necropsy Manager to join our team. The Marine Mammal Center's mission is to expand knowledge about marine mammals-their health and that of their ocean environment-and to inspire their global conservation. Our core work is the rescue and rehabilitation of sick and injured marine mammals, supported by state-of-the-art animal care and research facilities, a corps of dedicated volunteers, and an engaged community.
Reporting to the Research Biologist, the Research Associate/Necropsy Manager is a full time, exempt, position with competitive benefits. This position works closely with the Veterinary Science research team.
Specific duties are as follows:
* Manage the post mortem laboratory and field necropsy response.
* Assist veterinary staff in coordinating and conducting necropsies of dead and euthanized marine mammals (cetaceans and pinnipeds), as well as field response to large whales.
* Duties include, but are not limited to ordering of supplies, management of carcass disposal, writing necropsy reports, and compiling data for analyses.
* Assist with training of visiting students in necropsy technique and sample collection.
* Ensure the post mortem room is adequately supplied, clean, and safety procedures are established and followed.
* Supervise sample and data collection and consistency at necropsies, and revising necropsy protocols as necessary.
* Coordinate sample archiving, shipping, and tracking in collaboration with the Laboratory Manager and Research Assistant.
* Coordinate workflow with clinical Veterinary Science team.
* Ensure compliance with all shipping regulations, including CITES.
* Manage post-mortem specimen and sample data entry in the database, and work with Stranding Manager to ensure proper information is collected and available for monthly NMFS reporting
* Promote collaborative and cooperative efforts with academic and government researchers, especially with other local Stranding Network participants.
* Assist with and/ or lead selected research projects.
Core Competencies -- Knowledge and Skills:
* Ability to record, manage and analyze data, and perform statistical analyses.
* Demonstrated knowledge of marine mammal anatomy.
* Demonstrated ability to prepare specimens and equipment for post-mortem dissection.
* Demonstrated knowledge of tissue fixation and archival methods including trimming for histology, preparation for photography of gross anatomy and lesions, and sample processing for cryopreservation.
* Awareness of laboratory safety procedures.
* Ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
* B.S. in Biology, Zoology or related field.
* Minimum 2 years of necropsy experience and training.
* Competence in MS Office and solid database experience (ex. Filemaker Pro or MS Access).
* Basic understanding of the NOAA/ NMFS National Stranding Network.
* Basic knowledge of marine mammal biology and diseases, and general laboratory procedures.
* Enthusiastic, energetic, self-motivated individual, able to work in laboratory as well as field environments. Comfortable hiking 5+ miles and lifting 50+ pounds.
Please send a cover letter and resume attention Human Resources and Operations Manager to admin at tmmc.org<mailto:admin at tmmc.org>. Please put "Research Associate/Necropsy Manager" in the subject line. Deadline for applications is November 29th, 2010. Please no phone calls or faxed submissions.
Human Resources and Operations Manager
The Marine Mammal Center
2000 Bunker Road
Sausalito, CA 94965
groningerh at tmmc.org<mailto:groningerh at tmmc.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM