[MARMAM] Internship opportunity in Iceland

Edda Elísabet Magnúsdóttir eem at hi.is
Thu Mar 18 09:24:04 PDT 2010

Internship opportunity in Iceland

In the Husavik Research Center (organization of the University of
Iceland), we are entering our second year of intensive cetacean surveys in
Skjalfandi bay (NE-Iceland), where we are applying multiple methods. Our
aim is to develop sufficient methods for monitoring the annual occurrence
of cetaceans in Icelandic waters. Our main two approaches are long-term
recordings and visual land-based observations. We are studying all sighted
species, most commonly humpback whales, minke whales, blue whales,
white-beaked dolphins and harbor porpoises.

We need 3 – 4 volunteers from 1. June – 15.  September 2010. The interns
will be working 5 days a week. However, one should have in mind that the
weather can be quite unpredictable on these northern latitudes; thus, the
working intensity may vary between days. Those able to stay the whole
period will be prioritized, but the time of stay can be negotiated.

The interns’ obligation is to conduct land-based surveys from a
lighthouse, using a theodolite and the real-time mapping program
Cyclops-Tracker.  Also, the interns will be involved in other work, e.g.
aural and visual analysis of long-term acoustic data and collecting
photographic data for a photo-identification database. This work will be
done in collaboration with Edda E. Magnusdottir, a PhD student.

We provide an accommodation for the interns, free of charge. It is located
in an old and charming house right by the harbor of Husavik. The interns
must support their everyday living during their stay, as well as travel
costs.

This project provides excellent opportunity for people seeking experience
within the field of cetacean researches, as well as a broad overview of
what methods can be applied.

Applicants must send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to Edda E.
Magnusdottir (see below), letter of recommendation would also be
appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions before you apply

Please send applications to:

Edda Elísabet Magnúsdóttir
E-mail: eem at hi.is

Húsavík Research Center