[MARMAM] Research assistants wanted for bottlenose dolphin research
tilen.genov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 03:57:29 PST 2010
*Morigenos – marine mammal research and conservation society* is seeking
*RESEARCH ASSISTANTS for season 2010*
Research assistants are required to assist with the ongoing long-term
research and monitoring programme of the *Slovenian Dolphin Project*. The
project focuses on the study, monitoring and conservation of the local
population of bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops truncatus*) in Slovenian and
adjacent waters in the north Adriatic Sea since 2002, collecting information
on distribution, abundance, social structure, habitat use, fishery
interactions and tourism impact.
The research base is located in Portoroz, Slovenia (EU). The fieldwork is
carried out in Slovenian and adjacent waters (north Adriatic Sea).
20th June – 1st October 2010
Candidates are expected to committ to the project for a minimum of 1 month,
but can also apply for the whole period.
The research assistant will be responsible for assisting the project leaders
in all aspects of research and associated tasks. Duties include, but are not
· daily fieldwork (boat surveys on a 5.7 meter RIB, land-based
watches with binoculars and theodolite tracking, photo-identification,
behavioural sampling, data recording)
· database entry, database management, data analysis
· boat upkeep and maintenance
· research base upkeep and maintenance
· coordinating teams of participants in Morigenos research camps
This position is unpaid, but accommodation and food are provided. Successful
applicants need to cover their own travel costs.
*IMPORTANT SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS*
- A background in biology, veterinary medicine, geography or related
- Previous experience in cetacean research
- Nautical licence and experience in handling RIBs
- Good IT skills (Word, Excell and Access are a must)
- Ability and willingness to work long hours outdoors, in often hot
- Ability to work well in a small international team
- Good verbal and written communication skills
The following qualifications are not required, but one or more of the
following will be considered an advantage:
- Good knowledge of GIS
- Previous experience and knowledge of photo-ID, distance sampling,
habitat modelling, theodolite tracking or C-POD use
- Experience in the use of software packages MARK, SOCPROG or R
*HOW TO APPLY*
Send a letter of interest and a CV, outlining why you are applying, your
previous experience and qualifications, why you think you should be
considered for the position and your availability in the given period.
Include contact details of two references.
Send your application to tilen.genov(at)gmail.com. Please specify *'MORIGENOS
RESEARCH ASSISTANT'* in your subject title. Deadline: 3rd April 2010.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by the 13th April 2010.
Morigenos team will be at the ECS conference in Stralsund, where we would be
happy to talk to you. When you send your application, please let us know
whether you are attending the ECS and we can possibly arrange a meeting.
*Morigenos - marine mammal research and conservation society*
Jarska cesta 36/a
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM