[MARMAM] Volunteers needed for Shark Bay

Richard C. Connor rconnor at umassd.edu
Mon Mar 1 17:21:52 PST 2010

We are seeking several field assistants for The Dolphin Alliance Project in Shark Bay , Western Australia for the 2010 field season. The season will begin 1 July and will last through September but may be extended another 1-2 months.   Given the time it takes to train people, you must commit for the entire time.   This is a volunteer position but we cover lodging and food at the site.   We will be collecting survey and focal data on alliance forming male dolphins.   On windy days you will be working on data entry and photo-ID.   We are seeking assistants who have prior field experience, dolphin photo-ID experience and especially familiarity with small boats. The West Australian Government now requires us to have an operator on board who has a Restricted Coxswain, radio operation certificate and current first-aid certificate.   Courses may be taken in the Perth/Freemantle area before the field season.   Please note, if we have one or two assistants who meet these qualifications we may be able to take two without them, so don’t be afraid to apply if you feel under-qualified.   We prefer people who are easy going hard working team players as we work and live in close quarters.   Please send a letter of interest, CV and email contacts for two references to both of us. Richard Connor ( rconnor at umassd.edu ) and Michael Krutzen (michael.kruetzen at aim.unizh.ch).