[MARMAM] phocid sedation and anaesthesia

Iain Field iain.field at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 00:12:26 PDT 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I would ask those interested in or practising phocid sedation and
anaesthesia to read on.

I am currently researching the topic of phocid sedation and anaesthesia
in order to produce an updated review and although there is a great deal
of information in the published literature, and regular reviews, I
believe there are a number of studies that hold information and data
that have not been published to date and would greatly add to our
current understanding of this subject. There are currently a range of
sedation and anaesthetic agents and methods of delivery in use, the
diversity of which would be of practical interest to all those engaged
in seal capture for research, management and rehabilitation. This study
will be done in partial fulfilment of a post-graduate certificate in
Conservation Veterinary Medicine at Murdoch University, Australia.

Therefore, I would like to offer researchers the opportunity to
contribute information or data to a meta-analysis or re-analysis of raw
data.

Data can be contributed in one of two ways, option one would be a
meta-data approach including the species, the number of seals sedated or
anaesthetised (including where possible the size, sex and status of the
seals), the drugs and dose rates used, the mean and range of levels (or
plane) of immobilisation and duration of effect, method of delivery,
mortality rate, rate of complications (such as apnea), and the purpose
of the immobilisation (e.g. deployment of tracking devices or
measurement). Alternatively, and my preferred option, would be to
provide a spreadsheet with the capture data including the species, drugs
used and purpose of immobilisation, also individuals' sex, size (mass
and length), status (e.g. breeding or moulting) of the dose given,
induction and recovery times, plane of immobilisation, whether there
were complications or death.

The data will be held in confidence and only be used for determining the
mass specific doses and effects for the range of species available and
source of the data will be acknowledged and cited in the text. This data
will then be interpreted in terms of current best practice and
practicality. In return for the contribution of data I will acknowledge
the provision of the data in my thesis/course project and would like to
offer co-authorship on any subsequent publication if requested.

I look forward to hearing from all those interested.

Kind regards,

Iain Field

Iain C Field, BSc(hons), GradDip(Hons), PhD
Marine Mammal Research Group
Graduate School of the Environment
Macquarie University
Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia