[MARMAM] Volunteers needed in dolphins communication project

Bruno Diaz b_d_r_i at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 18 09:28:15 PDT 2010

Hi everyone, on behalf of the Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI ([url]www.thebdri.com[/url]), a marine science and education centre, I am pleased to announce that our centre is currently accepting volunteers applications to participate in our new research program along the north-eastern coast of Sardinia focusing on the study of dolphins communication and behaviour onboard sea kayaks in order to minimise the noise pollution derived of the use of vessels.
This bottlenose dolphin research program is accessible to you even if you have never sat in a kayak before; have never participated in a research program; if you are alone or with friends; whatever your situation, if you have one week to spend we can provide you an experience you will likely never forget! contributing to dolphins research and conservation.
Mediterranean Sea play host to a multitude of marine life and allow us to silently explore the inaccessible coastal wilderness by sea kayak. Although our project focuses primarily on bottlenose dolphins, we often see seagulls (Adouin’s and yellow-legged), cormorants, shearwaters (Yelkouan and cory’s), peregrines, egrets, herons, ravens, carrion crows, sand martins, swifts, rock doves, terns, krestels, sea turtles, ospreys, buzzards, goshawks, mouflons, posidonia seagrass and more. Not everything is seen on ever expedition but we do get a great variety.
Comfortable housing (private and double rooms), with shared cooking and bathroom facilities are provided. There is no deadline to apply. APPLY NOW!, applications are accepted on a first-come, first serve basis. Positions are open until filled.
DATES (7 days/6 nights - Arrival day: Sunday & Departure day: Saturday):
Team 1: from July 11th to July 17thTeam 2: from July 25th to July 31stTeam 3: from August 22nd to August 28th
Read through this general information carefully:www.thebdri.com/resources/downloads/kayak.pdf
decide and take note of any dates that may be preferred and submit your application: www.thebdri.com/resources/downloads/applicationvolunteers.rtf
by email to info at thebdri.com
Scientific articles about dolphins communication:
Díaz López B., in press. Whistle characteristics in free-ranging bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in the Mediterranean Sea: influence of behaviour. Mammalian Biology.
Díaz López B. & Shirai, J.A.B., 2009. Mediterranean common bottlenose dolphin's repertoire and communication use. In: Dolphins: Anatomy, Behavior, and Threats, A.G: Pierce & L. Correa (Eds.), Nova Science Publishers, New York. pp. 129-148.
Shirai, J.A.B. Díaz López, B., Mihailova, M. and Casas, C. 2010. Long-term study of whistle contours and repeated whistles of free ranging bottlenose dolphins. 24th Annual Conference of the European Cetacean Society ECS , Straldund, Germany, March 2010
More information:
email: info at thebdri.com; telephone: 00 39 346 0815414 www.thebdri.comSwim with us on Facebook

Bruno Diaz Lopez
Chief Researcher / Marine Zoologist
Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI
V.Armando Diaz Nº4 07020 Golfo Aranci (SS) Italy
www.thebdri.com
info at thebdri.com
tel.+ 39 346 081 5414
tel. + 0789 183 1197