[MARMAM] Open Marine Mammal Research Volunteer position for the summer of 2010 (The Whale Center of New England)

Kelly Slivka kelly at whalecenter.org
Tue Jun 1 16:27:44 PDT 2010

Marine Mammal Research Volunteer Position 2010
(For a detailed description and application, please see our website at
www.whalecenter.org/intern.htm)

The Whale Center of New England, located in Gloucester, MA, is a
non-profit research organization involved with the study of the
behavior, ecology, and natural history of the whales and dolphins found
in the waters off of Massachusetts.  The Whale Center is also heavily
involved with habitat conservation and education programs. We are
currently looking to fill one research volunteer position for the summer
(May 24-August 20) semester of 2010.  As the semester has already begun,
we are looking for a candidate who has the flexibility to begin as soon
as possible.

The Whale Center of New England volunteer position provides experience
needed to further pursue fields in marine biology and animal behavior.
It is our goal to provide college students and recent graduates with the
opportunity to collect valuable information important to the marine
mammal field and to see how this information is used in management and
conservation efforts in this area.  These duties may include, but are
not limited to: extensive photo-identification and computer work
(training provided), field data collection aboard commercial whale
watching vessels and our 42' research vessel R/V Mysticete, attendance
at necropsies (whale autopsies), marine mammal stranding response, and
attendance at conferences and meetings.

There is no fee required for the volunteer position.  The volunteer is
required to find their own housing and provide a means of transportation
to the boats we work on in Boston and Gloucester, MA (the Whale Center
will not be providing any means of financial assistance).

Volunteer applicants should have the following:
* A background in biology, zoology, or related field
* Some knowledge of research methods and design
* An ability to work, live and communicate well with others
* Enthusiasm and dedication to work long days (sometimes 12 hours or
more) in the field
* Completed their freshmen year at the time of application

In order to apply for the volunteer position: please send a resume or
CV, a cover letter detailing your reason(s) for applying, an updated
transcript, and the one-page application form found on our website.
Once your application has been received and reviewed, a phone interview
will be arranged. The preferred method of receiving applications will be
via email. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling
basis.

Application materials and questions regarding the position should be
directed to the Intern Coordinator: Kelly Slivka.

Kelly Slivka
C/o The Whale Center of New England
P.O. Box 159
Gloucester, MA 01930