[MARMAM] Fwd: Ponta Partial Marine Area

Angie Gullan DCA angie at dolphincare.org
Tue Jan 26 06:38:33 PST 2010

>>> Dear MARMAMers
>>
>>>  The Management Plan for the Ponta Partial Marine Reserve (PPMR),
>>> Mozambique is available for perusal at http://www.docstoc.com/docs/23472760/PPMR-Mozambique

>>> The document contains the marine component of the extensive
>>> management plan that was developed for the Maputo Special Reserve
>>> in Mozambique.  This plan was presented and distributed to
>>> stakeholders in December 2009, following many months work. With
>>> our field of work being directly related to marine mammal tourism,
>>> we will see restrictions on how many boats are allowed to
>>> undertake dolphin swims in the area, as well as whale watching
>>> trips during the annual humpback and southern right whale
>>> migrations. This, coupled with restrictions on jetskis and
>>> recreational boats 'visiting' the dolphins will certainly limit
>>> the amount of tourism pressure the animals are currently facing.
>>> For this, we are very thankful as we have seen increasing pressure
>>> on the marine life in the area since tourism has increased. It is
>>> with this in mind that we would like to share with you and request
>>> advice in this field.

>>> The  managemnt plan  was compliled by a  team of experts,
>>> together  with the collaboration of the Ministry of Tourism
>>> (MITUR) and the Peace Parks Foundation (PPF) advisory team. The
>>> first draft format and style was adopted from the managed MPAs
>>> within the western cape province of South Africa.

>>> Stakeholders have had the opportunity to comment on this document.
>>> We have submitted the following comments, which can be referenced
>>> to the page numbers on the plan.

>>> Page 13
3.1.1 Ponta Techobanine Port Development
The construction and development of the Port would only cause major
destruction to the area. It is unthinkable that this is even a
possibly especially given that it sits within the MSR. Sorry to say
but this is ludicrous and should absolutely NOT be passed. It goes
against the values and longterm vision of the PPMR.

Page 15
3.1.5 Dolphin and whale viewing
Please note the spelling of Dolphin Encounters should be Dolphin
EnCOuntours.

Page 20
3.2.4.1 Scientific Research and Monitoring
With this being a key component to the PPMR it is suggested that an
operators/skippers log book be issued whereby skippers of both fishing
concessions and scuba diving concessions can record the sightings of
various key species ie: sharks (whales sharks, tigers, Zambezi’s,
great whites etc) as well as various marine mammals species. This
would give the PPMR a greater scope/area to work with.

Page 22
3.2.4.1 Policy
Clarity is needed on whether the institute/operator would draw up the
memorandum of understanding or would this be done by the PPMR steering
committee.
Research Conducted to Date
Research on marine mammals and whale sharks has been undertaken prior
to the proclamation of the PPMR

Page 22
Signage and Brochures as Resource for Creating Awareness
Welcome to Mozambique “Conservation code of Conduct” has been
developed in collaboration with the Natural History Museum, Dolphin
EnCOuntours; PPF and Turtle Working Group. These are important in
educating tourists regarding the special species likely to be
encountered and how one should behave when encountering such species.
It is suggested that a dedicated marine mammal awareness campaign be
implemented with signboards and brochures ensuring ocean users are
made aware of the species inhabiting the coastal zone.

Page 26
3.2.4.3 Compliance
Suggest a hotline number (probably a cell number) being clearly
displayed on all signage and brochures, where a member of the
community can call or text message in to report non-compliance and
illegal activities to the relevant enforcement agency. This is vital
as the area is too large to have eyes on the ground all the time.
Community involvement is crucial and will empower the community to
protect and work towards preserving the PPMR.

Page 34
Description of income revenues
Dive taxes
There are currently no taxes for marine mammal tourism activities.

Page 42
3.3.2.5 Multiple Use Zone
Q. What will the PPMR's regulations on how many fishing Jet skis would
be allowed to launch from Ponta Do Ouro and any other launch sites?

Page 52
Article 4
Marine Mammal Tourism should be included as a specific activity

Page 54
Appendix 2: Divers Code of Conduct
Diving
11: Divers are not permitted to wear gloves (an option should not be
given)
17:Report environmental disturbance or destruction of your dive sites
to PPMR (not Cape Nature)
ADDITIONAL SUGGESTION: suckers/sweets with wrappers are not permitted
on dives.

Page 56
Appendix 3: Dolphin, whale and whale shark code of conduct
5. Avoid mother calf units. Do not enter into the water with newborns/
calves unless for research purpose.
Justification: much information can be obtained by entering into the
water for monitoring purposes ie: the presence of shark bites and
parasites on newborns as noted in the past.

Page 57
Appendix 4: Fishers code of conduct for the PPMR
Suggest the inclusion of the following in the formal code of conduct
The targeting of all shark species in prohibited
The dumping of used/unused bait is prohibited within the bays or close
to bathing areas as this is likely to attract sharks.
Fisherman are to be sure they do not discard bait wrappers and tackle
at sea.
Lines should be pulled in when in the vicinity of marine mammals.
There is no mention of bill fish targeting or size limits of species.

Page 69
2.5.1 Scuba Area Regulations
How many boats are allowed per concession?
How many divers are allowed per boat?
How many dive groups are allowed per reef at any one stage?
How many additional boats will a dive concession be able to deploy
during peak seasons?
The permit holder should submit to the management authority the
previous months data on the “monthly data return sheet’ together
with a key species sighting log

Page 70
2.5.2 Dolphin, whale shark and whale watching areas
The limits suggested in the management plan do not correlate with page
42’s suggestion of one operator per 20km.  Past experience indicates
that more than one operator increases stress levels within the local
dolphin population and this has now been confirmed with a drop in good
quality swims and dolphins spending more time on the move.

One operator per 20km area will ensure a sustainable, low impact
dolphin swim experience if done in the correct manner. Concession
holders should commit to a memorandum of understanding with the PPMR
thus ensuring good, baseline data is collected and that minimal stress
is caused when working with marine mammals.
Suggestion:
Ponta do Ouro (1)
Ponta Mamoli (1)
Ponta Dobela (1)
Santa Maria (1)
Inhaca (1)

It is suggested that the Dolphin EnCOuntour/Care-Africa swim with code
of conduct be adopted by all concession holders undertaking dolphin
swims. This code of conduct has been developed in conjunction with
Angie Gullan and Dr Almeida Guissamulo (Natural History Museum Maputo)
in effort to minimize any undue stress on dolphins wile interacting
with them while in the open sea.

Clarity is requested on:
·       Whether or not it is permitted to swim with whales (ie:
humpback whales)
·       Will the opportunistic swimming with dolphins be allowed from
dive boats Ie: if dolphins are come across when on route to a scuba
dive are the divers permitted to get into the water and swim with them
·       Number of boats allowed per operator. It would defeat the
purpose of limiting the number of operators if a single operator was
allowed more than 1 boat per launch.

A grey area exists between snorkeling trips/marine/ocean safari’s
that offer snorkeling over shallow reefs, in the past it has been
noted that this activity although sold as a snorkeling trip is
actually a dolphin swim trip and causes much stress on dolphins and
there is no formal code of conduct and swim briefing given. It is
suggested that NO entry with dolphins/whales in permitted unless
through the registered dolphin swim concession within the area. It is
necessary to police this closely.

Page 71
2.8. Fishing
There is no mention on how many commercial fishing charters are
allowed per area. It is important that this is minimized.
It is also important to mention that no person shall attempt to
operate a tourist/commercial fishing charter within the PPMR except on
the authority of a permit. Currently there are ‘pirate’ operators
doing fishing charters and selling their catches off in town. This
needs to be addressed.

OTHER
Operator Agreement:
It is critical for all operators to sign an agreement under the codes
of conduct overseen by the PPMR to only offer and perform the
activities that they are licensed to offer. In other words, Scuba
Operations should not offer dolphin or whale watching, nor should they
take advantage of opportunistic swims if they come across a pod of
dolphins. Dolphin Operations should not offer Scuba diving and so on.

Life Guard Program:
The Life Guard program should be re-instated and managed by the PPMR
to protect and ensure that the values of the PPMR are upheld. This
will make sure that the people in the bathing areas, snorkelers,
divers and fisherman are following the rules and regulations. This way
the marine life and values of the PPMR will be upheld. The life guards
should have the full weight of the law behind them as they will offer
a good form of visible policing in busy areas, such as Ponta Do Ouro,
and become a deterrent to law breakers.

Firecrackers - Should be prohibited within the PPMR unless arranged
professionally for special occasions ie: new years.

Drinking – The consumption of alcohol should not be permitted within
the launch site or while at sea or prior to launching.

>>> Your feedback and input regarding this would be much appreciated.
> [...]
>>> as
>>> a