[MARMAM] Job advertisement - marine mammal monitoring programme project leader
Cronin, Michelle (CMRC)
Michelle.Cronin at ucc.ie
Mon Jan 18 06:42:11 PST 2010
Marine mammal monitoring programme project leader
Applications are invited for a one year position leading a marine mammal monitoring programme in Co. Mayo on the west coast of Ireland. The marine mammal monitoring programme is grant aided by Shell E&P Ireland through RSK Environment Ltd.
The candidate will ideally be a postdoctoral researcher, employed through the Coastal and Marine Resources Centre (CMRC), University College Cork and will need to be based close to the study area in Broadhaven Bay, Co. Mayo.
Background: Under a development plan for the CORRIB gas field off western Ireland, Enterprise Energy Ireland Ltd. commissioned the Coastal & Marine Resources Centre (CMRC), University College Cork to conduct an independent cetacean monitoring programme in northwest Ireland in 2001 - 02. Due to the findings of preliminary field surveys in 2001 the study’s remit was expanded to also include other marine mammal species recorded in the study area. Research was undertaken in Broadhaven Bay (candidate Special Area of Conservation - cSAC), County Mayo and its adjoining coastal waters. The programme of marine mammal monitoring was continued in 2005, 2008 and 2009 during the CORRIB development’s marine phases, to safeguard protected species from potential impacts. Research efforts are currently being continued in 2010 and into 2011.
Position: We are recruiting a project leader to coordinate the marine mammal monitoring programme. The position will be for February 2010 to January 2011 with potential for extension into 2011 pending funding confirmation.
Candidate: The researcher will require the following skills profile:
* A PhD in any area of marine mammal ecology (preferable, but suitably qualified candidates with relevant experience may also be considered)
* Relevant marine mammal research/monitoring experience
* Knowledge of marine mammal survey methodologies
* Experience of cetacean photo identification techniques
* Experience of acoustic monitoring of cetaceans (TPODs and CPODs currently used in the project)
* Experience of GIS (e.g. ArcGIS), databases (e.g. Access) and metadata standards
* Experience with statistical analysis and preferably statistical modelling
* Good publication track record
* Proven ability of team leadership and excellent oral and written communication skills
* Demonstration of project management and networking skills
* Proven ability to work in a small research group ideally in a remote location
Duration and salary: Duration is for a one year period subject to an initial review after three months and satisfactory progress. The salary for this position (gross) is fixed at €43,000 p.a.
Application: The closing date for applications is January 29th 2010. Candidates should submit their curriculum vitae including references and a cover letter via email to Grainne Lynch: grainne.lynch at ucc.ie.
Michelle A. Cronin MSc PhD
Marine Ecology Group
Coastal & Marine Resources Centre
Phone no: 021 4703114
Fax no: 021 4703132
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM