[MARMAM] Vancouver Aquarium's Marine Mammal Rescue Internship Program
Marine Mammal Rescue
MarineMammal.MarineMammalRescue at vanaqua.org
Tue Jan 12 09:46:19 PST 2010
Please post on behalf of the Vancouver Aquarium's Marine Mammal Rescue Centre
The Vancouver Aquarium's Marine Mammal Rescue (VAMMRC) Internship Program
Mission Statement of the Vancouver Aquarium: The Vancouver Aquarium is a self-supporting, non-profit association dedicated to the conservation of aquatic life through display and interpretation, education, research, and direct action.
About the Vancouver Aquarium's Marine Mammal Rescue Centre
One of the Vancouver Aquarium’s direct action programs, the Vancouver Aquarium's Marine Mammal Rescue Centre, works to rescue, rehabilitate and successfully release abandoned, injured, or stranded marine mammals. Located approximately 15 minutes east of the Vancouver Aquarium, patients are brought to the rescue centre’s hospital facility from all over the B.C. coast and cared for until they are well enough to be released into the wild. Since the Aquarium started helping distressed marine mammals in the 1960's, VAMMRC has treated elephant seals, sea otters, steller sea lions, harbour porpoises, common dolphins, and killer whales. Harbour seals are the most common patient admitted to the facility.
VAMMRC Internship Program
The VAMMRC Internship is an unpaid internship. It will provide students with hands-on experience in marine mammal rescue, rehabilitation and the conservation of marine life. Students will engage in laboratory procedures, animal husbandry, rescue techniques and help with the veterinary care of marine mammals.
VAMMRC presents a unique internship opportunity for:
* Pre-veterinary students enrolled in a biology or similar university program
* Veterinary technician students
* Veterinary students
Successful candidate will be:
• Full time students enrolled in, a college or university, in zoology, marine biology, or related animal science, or completed all or part of a course study in veterinary technology (or related field) from a recognized institution
• Interested in a career as a veterinary technician, veterinarian, or a marine biology
• Extremely self motivated with a desire for continuing education
• Experienced in the animal care field either paid work or volunteer
• Appling for position in a timely manor with resume and letter of interest outlining why you are interested in the program, your availability, educational background and where you heard about the program
• Able to provide 2 letters of reference
• Able to secure the necessary funds for relocation, accommodations and living expenses for the entire placement
• Able to lift 20kg, be in good physical shape and be able to work both inside and outside in various weather conditions
Intern shifts will be approximately 8 hours long, 5 days a week for a total of 40 hours per week. Work schedules will include week-ends, evenings and holidays.
Responsibilities (applicant responsibilities may include, but are not limited to):
* Food preparation and animal feeding
* General cleaning duties and animal habitat maintenance
* Receiving animals when rescued including ability to weigh, assist in physical examinations, and animal record keeping
* Assisting the veterinarian and staff in surgical and medical cases when required
* Assist in researching information to aid in animal care
* Limited laboratory procedures
* May assist with rescues and releases
All candidates are expected to find their own accommodations in Vancouver.
Placement dates and application procedures:
Application Deadline March 1, 2010
Number of interns
Length of placement
June 23 – September 3
June 23 – August 11
July 20 – September 3
July 20 – September 29
* Dates are subject to change
Applications will be processed by the VAMMRC Coordinator and Manager. Please send resume, letter of intent and two references to rescue at vanaqua.org<mailto:rescue at vanaqua.org> with "VAMMRC Internship Application" in the subject line OR
mail to the attention of:
VAMMRC Internship Application
PO Box 3232
Good luck to all our applicants.
Thank you for your interest in the Vancouver Aquarium’s Marine Mammal Rescue Internship program.
CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING - THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE, IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. ANY UNAUTHORIZED DISCLOSURE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY SO THAT WE MAY CORRECT OUR INTERNAL RECORDS. PLEASE THEN DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE. THANK YOU
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM