[MARMAM] June 2010 Environmental Studies and Sciences conference, Portland, Oregon

Wallace, Richard rwallace at ursinus.edu
Mon Jan 11 08:06:47 PST 2010

Dear Marmam folks,

The call for proposals for symposia and other large-format sessions for
the 2010 annual meeting of the Association for Environmental Studies and
Sciences (AESS) closes in early February. Please see the message
appended below for information on AESS and details on the call.

As I mentioned in my initial announcement last month, there is great
potential for crossover and support between AESS and the Marmam
community, and I encourage you to consider attending! AESS meetings are
highly collegial affairs in which folks from many different disciplines
gather to share experience in environmental problem solving.
Cross-pollination between the marine mammal conservation community and
the more broadly interdisciplinary environmental studies and sciences
community would benefit both groups.

If you have any questions about AESS, please feel free to contact me.
And apologies for cross-postings.

Cheers,

Rich Wallace

Associate Professor

Environmental Studies Program

Ursinus College

Collegeville, PA USA

rwallace at ursinus.edu

Dear Colleagues,

Happy New Year! It is our pleasure to invite you to participate in the
2010 annual meeting of the Association for Environmental Studies and
Sciences (AESS), scheduled for June 17-20, 2010 at Lewis and Clark
College in Portland, OR.

AESS is a professional society formed in 2008 to serve the faculty,
students and staff of the 1000+ interdisciplinary environmental programs
in North America and around the world. AESS seeks to strengthen
teaching, research and service in environmental studies and sciences,
and to improve communication across boundaries that too often divide the
traditional academic disciplines. The association works to support the
professional development of Association members not just as individuals
but also to advance environmental studies and sciences as a whole. We
invite you to learn more by visiting the AESS website
<http://aess.info/> .

The online submission form for session proposals for the 2010 conference
is now open and ready to use. You can find this link, along with a
general description of sessions and other conference information,
located on the Call for Participation
<http://aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=68527
>  page of the AESS website <http://aess.info/> . Here is a direct link
to the session proposal submission page
<http://aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=69401
> .

Important notes about session proposal submission:

*	This is a call for conference sessions only. These include
topics for paper sessions, panel discussions, roundtable discussions,
facilitated discussions, workshops, and field trips.
*	Mark your calendars: The deadline for session proposals is
February 1, 2010 (23:59 ET).
*	Proposing a session is quick and easy, taking about 10-15
minutes to complete, and it helps ensure that we generate a
comprehensive list of conference topics that AESS members find engaging
and professionally rewarding.
*	This is NOT your opportunity to submit an abstract for a
presentation you want to give. That will happen in mid February once we
have a list of sessions generated from the current round of proposals.
The deadline for presentation abstracts is not until March 30, 2010
(23:59 ET).
*	You may submit a proposal for a session in which you do not wish
to participate.
*	You may submit more than one session proposal.
*	Please review the entire form before starting to ensure you have
all of the required information.
*	Provide information on yourself as Author 1 and as Contact
Author; no other author information is needed for session proposals.
*	Session proposals will be selected based on the extent to which
they creatively and cogently address (a) current questions in ESS
theory, methodology, pedagogy, praxis, or another major realm, and/or
(b) the AESS 2010 theme, Many Shades of Green.
*	Please limit the session proposal abstract to 250 words. Feel
free to cut and paste your session proposal abstract from a Word or pdf
document.

Please spread the word about the 2010 AESS conference
<http://aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=68526
<http://aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=56455
> .

Thank you for helping to make the 2010 AESS conference a success!

Do not hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or additional
information.

All the best,

Phil Camill
Bowdoin College