[MARMAM] Marine Mammal Research Volunteers - Summer 2010

Jennifer Tackaberry jenn at whalecenter.org
Wed Feb 10 13:40:54 PST 2010

Marine Mammal Research Volunteer Positions 2010
(For a detailed description and application, please see our website at
www.whalecenter.org/intern.htm)

The Whale Center of New England, located in Gloucester, MA, is a
non-profit research organization involved with the study of the
behavior, ecology, and natural history of the whales and dolphins found
in the waters off of Massachusetts.  The Whale Center is also heavily
involved with habitat conservation and education programs.  In addition
to internship positions, we are currently looking to fill research
volunteer positions for the summer (May 24-August 20) semester of 2010.
Start and end dates may be flexible for the volunteer position.

The Whale Center of New England volunteer position provides experience
needed to further pursue fields in marine biology and animal behavior.
It is our goal to provide college students and recent graduates with the
opportunity to collect valuable information important to the marine
mammal field and to see how this information is used in management and
conservation efforts in this area.  These duties may include, but are
not limited to: extensive photo-identification and computer work
(training provided), field data collection aboard commercial whale
watching vessels and our 42' research vessel The Mysticete, attendance
at necropsies (whale autopsies), marine mammal stranding response, and
attendance at conferences and meetings.

There is no fee required for the volunteer position.  The volunteer is
required to find their own housing and provide a means of transportation
to the boats we work on in Boston and Gloucester, MA (the Whale Center
will not be providing any means of financial assistance).

Volunteer applicants should have the following:
* A background in biology, zoology, or related field
* Some knowledge of research methods and design
* An ability to work, live and communicate well with others
* Enthusiasm and dedication to work long days (sometimes 12 hours or
more) in the field or lab
* Completed their freshmen year at the time of application

In order to apply for the volunteer position: please send a resume, a
cover letter detailing your reason(s) for applying, one letter of
reference, an updated transcript, and the application form found on our
website.  Once your application has been received, an interview will be
arranged. In-person interviews are preferred, necessitating travel to
Gloucester, MA, during a weekend in March 2010 (to be determined at a
later date). All applications must be submitted by March 1, 2010.
Applicants should note that they are interest in the volunteer position
rather then the internship position.

Application materials and questions regarding the internship should be
directed to the intern coordinator: Jenn Tackaberry

Jennifer Tackaberry
P.O. Box 159
Gloucester, MA 01930
978-281-6351 (office)