[MARMAM] Whale Watching Regulations and Guidelines for Beaked Whales

P Emerald pmairiedgar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 08:51:16 PST 2010

 Hello,

I am working with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada on a

project related to tourism and whale watching in the Gully Marine

Protected Area, located in the offshore waters of Nova Scotia.  In

particular, I am looking for whale watching guidelines, protocols, or

regulations from other countries that apply to bottlenose

or other beaked whales. I am wondering if there are related articles or  specific studies concerning behavioural reponses of bottlenose and
beaked whales around whale watching boats.

In Nova Scotia, we have a population of Northern bottlenose

whales (Hyperoodon Ampullatus) that are found year round in several

canyons.  There may be growing interest from tour operators to bring

visitors to this area to view these whales.

In addition, I am looking for information on commercial whale watching
practices that occur in open ocean environments/offshore areas (12nm and
 beyond).

Any information that you can provide would be great!

Thanks,

Mairi Edgar

pmairiedgar at hotmail.com