[MARMAM] Article on a new killer whale morphotype (Robert Pitman)

Robert.Pitman Robert.Pitman at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 20 11:00:11 PDT 2010

The following article was just published online in /Polar Biology/: DOI
10.1007/s00300-010-0871-3

Observations of a distinctive morphotype of killer whale (/Orcinus
orca/), type D, from subantarctic waters

R. L. Pitman, J. W. Durban, M. Greenfelder, C. Guinet, M. Jorgensen, P.
A. Olson, J. Plana, P. Tixier, J. R. Towers

Abstract
Studies have shown that killer whale (/Orcinus orca/) communities in
high latitudes regularly comprise assemblages of sympatric
‘ecotypes’—forms that differ in morphology, behavior, and prey
preferences. Although they can appear superficially similar, recent
genetic evidence suggests that breeding is assortative among ecotypes
within individual communities, and species-level divergences are
inferred in some cases. Here, we provide information on a recently
recognized ‘type D’ killer whale based on photographs of a 1955 mass
stranding in New Zealand and our own six at-sea sightings since 2004. It
is the most distinctive-looking form of killer whale that we know of,
immediately recognizable by its extremely small white eye patch. Its
geographic range appears to be circumglobal in subantarctic waters
between latitudes 40°S and 60°S. School sizes are relatively large (mean
17.6; range 9–35; n = 7), and although nothing is known about the type D
diet, it is suspected to include fish because groups have been
photographed around longline vessels where they reportedly depredate
Patagonian toothfish (/Dissostichus eleginoides/).

PDF available from robert.pitman at noaa.gov <mailto:robert.pitman at noaa.gov>

--
Robert L. Pitman

858-546-7092 phone