[MARMAM] Volunteer assistants are requested to study large whales and dolphins off Sardinia

Bruno Diaz b_d_r_i at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 15 04:23:56 PDT 2010

Volunteer assistants are requested to study large whales and dolphins off Sardinia
The Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI is a marine science and education centre committed to conserving the diversity and integrity of marine life. We are looking for volunteers to participate in our new research project: "Large whales & Dolphins off Sardinia Island" from September to November 2010.
Data are collected from multiple platforms including shore and research vessel based platforms. The behaviour and distribution of large cetaceans (fin whales and sperm whales) observed off Sardinia is still unknown. While some animals could be in migration between the Ligurian and Thyrrenian Sea others could be mainly engaged in foraging activities. Moreover ,we are also interested in the study of bottlenose dolphins use of habitat off Sardinia. Dedicated to those who are interested to participate to marine mammals research and conservation campaigns. No background knowledge of biology is required. You will assist researchers with data collection and recording while on the boat, helping to locate and keep track of cetaceans, recording behavioural data, environmental information and recording sounds, video or photos. Assistants will be required to assist in the creation of data layers by entering data into a GIS and learn to use some basic
 GIS tools. Data entry and management, equipment maintenance, and other office and lab tasks will be required.  Benefits and advantages of the program:    - Travel and explore new places - Get involved in marine mammals research - Gain fieldwork experience - Learn to use different research instruments: GPS, Hydrophone, Secchi disk, digital SLR camera, sonar, camcorder, anemometer, compass, etc - Help advance our knowledge of cetaceans to improve their conservation - Meet interesting people - Enjoy the outdoors of the beautiful Emerald Coast (Sardinia Island, Italy) - Enjoy the culinary talents of others and express your own. There is no deadline to apply. However, approved applications are accepted on a first-come, first serve basis. Apply early! Positions are open until filled.
Please download the Volunteer opportunities general information at:http://www.thebdri.com/resources/downloads/volunteers.pdf
Further information can be found on our website (www.thebdri.com), or by e-mail at education at thebdri.com
Bruno Diaz Lopez Chief Researcher / Marine Zoologist
Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI
V.Armando Diaz Nº4 07020 Golfo Aranci (SS) Italy
www.thebdri.com
info at thebdri.com
tel.+ 39 346 081 5414
tel. + 0789 183 1197