[MARMAM] Spinner dolphin sound library

Putu Mustika putu.liza at jcu.edu.au
Tue Apr 27 23:07:23 PDT 2010

Dear Marmam-ers,

I've been looking over the web for a good sound library for Spinner
dolphins (Stenella longirostris longirostris/the Hawaiian subspecies
or S.l. roseiventris/the Southeast Asian version), be them whistle,
clicks, etc. I couldn't find one that is quite decent for long term
play, so I wonder if any of you colleagues can direct me to the
proper acoustic web links?

I should also mention that I shall send the files to Bali Hai
Cruises, a sustainable dolphin watching company in Bali where I have
been doing a part of my PhD research the last three years. Bali Hai
Cruises has been trying to value-add their dolphin trips by deploying
passive hydrophone to catch spinner dolphin's sound in the southern
waters of Bali and play it to the passengers. The hydrophone did not
work well because of the frequently rough weather in south Bali
(hence the vessel cannot be stationary). Then it occurred to us that
we can play recordings of spinner dolphins to the passengers and
hence educating them of some samples of Spinner dolphin acoustics
(while stating that this is not the real time recording of the
spinners they are currently experiencing).

thanks a lot for the advice or links sent to putu.liza at jcu.edu.au.

sincerely,
Putu Liza Kusuma Mustika ('Icha')
PhD Candidate - SEES, James Cook University, Australia
putu.liza at jcu.edu.au