[MARMAM] Information on humpback whales protecting other marine mammals?

Robert.Pitman Robert.Pitman at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 30 17:30:22 PDT 2009

We recently published a short popular piece about humpback whales
deliberately interfering with killer whale attacks on seals in
Antarctica in an apparent effort to protect the seals (R. Pitman and J.
Durban. 2009. Save the seal! Nat. Hist. Mag. Nov. 2009). We have come
across some similar accounts involving humpbacks interceding on behalf
of sea lions, minke whales and gray whales in the Northern Hemisphere
and it seems to be a widespread behavior. If you have a detailed
account(s) of this kind of behavior we are looking for collaborators to
further document this phenomenon. A pdf of the article is available on
request from robert.pitman at noaa.gov

Bob

--
Robert L. Pitman