[MARMAM] ACS: beaked whale issue dedicated to John Heyning

Uko Gorter uko.susan at verizon.net
Tue Oct 20 11:08:32 PDT 2009

Special beaked whale issue of ACS Whalewatcher honoring John Heyning.

The American Cetacean Society has just published a special issue of our
journal “Whalewatcher”.  This unique full color issue is completely
devoted to beaked whales and honors the late John Heyning.
John had a keen fascination for beaked whales, and has contributed much
to our knowledge of these enigmatic whales, as well as marine mammal
science in general.
John was also a great friend and supporter of the American Cetacean
Society.
We hope that this special issue serves as a fitting tribute to an
extraordinary man.

ACS would like to take the opportunity to thank all contributors to
this issue.
The editors: Mason Weinrich, Bernardo Alps, Kaye Reznick, Uko Gorter.

Whalewatcher journal 2009, Vol. 38 Number 1
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched
Size: 904 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

In this issue:

In Honor of John Heyning, and the Whales That Were His Passion, by ACS
vice president, Mason Weinrich

 From Corinne, a tribute by Corinne Heyning

A History of the Diversity of Beaked Whales, by James G. Mead

The Accidental Whale, by William F. Perrin

Meet the Family, illustrated plates of all known beaked whales by Uko
Gorter

Beaked Whale Science Coming of Age: Progress From Hawai’i, by Robin W.
Baird (A PDF copy of this article is available on:
www.cascadiaresearch.org/Robin/hawaii.htm)

Sonar: A Severe Blow to Beaked Whales, by Taryn Kiekow

Rare Close-ups, by photographer Todd Pusser

Science and Friendship Grew, by Emmanuel Rosales

John Heyning, (a selected) Bibliography, compiled by Mason Weinrich
-----------------------------
To order your copy:

Contact Kaye Reznick, ACS administrator.
Email: acsoffice at acsonline.org
Call: (310) 548-6279

Price: $ 6.00 (including mailing)
Check with Kaye for international mailing.

SPECIAL REQUEST:
Corinne Heyning would like to invite those who knew and worked with
John to write letters, c/o ACS, to share their experiences and help
capture them as memories that she can share and keep for her children.
Please, direct your letter to:

Corinne Heyning
c/o Kaye Reznick
American Cetacean Society