[MARMAM] Ship strikes from the Mediterranean Sea

Simone Panigada simo.pani at inwind.it
Wed Oct 21 08:32:48 PDT 2009

Dear list members,

The Tethys Research Institute is presently
collecting data on cetaceans’ ship strike events from the Mediterranean Basin.

We are mainly focusing on large animals, fin and
sperm whales, but data on small cetaceans will
also be registered. This action is part of a
project commissioned by the Italian Ministry of
the Environment to the Agreement on the
Conservation of Cetaceans in the Black Sea,
Mediterranean Sea and contiguous Atlantic area (ACCOBAMS).

The main aims of the project are to:

•        Synthesize the knowledge regarding ship
strikes with large cetaceans in the Mediterranean
Sea and place them in a global context.
•        Suggest conservation and mitigation measures.

We would like to collate information from
strandings, reports by ships' captains and crews,
and observation of whales carcasses floating at
sea. We are also interested in information on
live whales presenting evidence of a ship strike,
such as propeller scars or open wounds.

We are in close contact with the Ship Strike
Working Group established within the Scientific
Committee of the International Whaling
Commission, and we are aware of the global effort
to gather similar information; the data received
will be entered into the IWC database.

We have recently prepared a dedicated web page
("www.collisioni.org") with information on ship
strikes and cetaceans from the Mediterranean,
together with public awareness material, available on request also by mail.

Any data you wish to contribute can be reported
online at "http://www.tethys.org/collisioni/segnala_en.htm".
Pictures or videos can be sent by email to
"collisionicetacei at gmail.com". Any picture
provided would be very welcomed and would be
posted on the web page with the author's permission.

Given the difficulties in achieving our aims,
your contribution is extremely important and we
would like to thank you all in advance for
sharing your data with us. Every contribution
will be fully acknowledged, and in case of
publication all contributors will be contacted
beforehand for formal consent and to discuss co-authorship.

Best regards,

Simone Panigada

Simone Panigada, Ph.D.
Vice-President