[MARMAM] Radiation of extant cetaceans driven by restructuring of the oceans

ewan fordyce ewan.fordyce at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Thu Oct 8 12:05:32 PDT 2009

This new article -
Steeman, M.E. et al., 2009, Radiation of Extant Cetaceans Driven by
Restructuring of the Oceans (Systematic Zoology,
doi:10.1093/sysbio/syp060)
is currently available via open access at
sysbio.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/syp060

Abstract.-The remarkable fossil record of whales and dolphins
(Cetacea) has made them an exemplar of macroevolution. Although their
overall adaptive transition from terrestrial to fully aquatic
organisms is well known, this is not true for the radiation of modern
whales. Here, we explore the diversification of extant cetaceans by
constructing a robust molecular phylogeny that includes 87 of 89
extant species. The phylogeny and divergence times are derived from
nuclear and mitochondrial markers, calibrated with fossils. We find
that the toothed whales are monophyletic, suggesting that
echolocation evolved only once early in that lineage some 36-34 Ma.
The rorqual family (Balaenopteridae) is restored with the exclusion
of the gray whale, suggesting that gulp feeding evolved 18-16 Ma.
Delphinida, comprising all living dolphins and porpoises other than
the Ganges/Indus dolphins, originated about 26 Ma; it contains the
taxonomically rich delphinids, which began diversifying less than 11
Ma. We tested 2 hypothesized drivers of the extant cetacean radiation
by assessing the tempo of lineage accumulation through time. We find
no support for a rapid burst of speciation early in the history of
extant whales, contrasting with expectations of an adaptive radiation
model. However, we do find support for increased diversification
rates during periods of pronounced physical restructuring of the
oceans. The results imply that paleogeographic and paleoceanographic
changes, such as closure of major seaways, have influenced the
dynamics of radiation in extant cetaceans. [Cetacea; evolution;
molecular phylogeny; palaeo-ocean restructuring; speciation.]

R. Ewan Fordyce
*Associate Professor, and Head of Department,
Department of Geology University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin 9054, NZ
web: http://www.otago.ac.nz/geology/people/fordyce/index.html
*Research Associate, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian
Institution