[MARMAM] Google Ocean Posting Opportunity for Marine Mammal Scientists

Ellen Hines ehines at sfsu.edu
Mon Oct 5 19:30:29 PDT 2009

I have just started a position working with Sylvia Earle on her Deep
Search Foundation (http://deepdeep.org/) and want to touch base with you
all regarding a project I have been assigned to.

The Deep Search Foundation was created to promote the exploration and
protection of our ocean. To do this we have formed a partnership with
Google, Inc., and I have been put to the task of working with
researchers, educators and academics to post current knowledge and
research onto the OCEAN in Google Earth platform. This project isn't
limited to the deep sea - we're also covering coastlines, wetlands,
marshes, etc.  http://earth.google.com/

I would like to show you how our posting system works and demonstrate
how easy it is to capture the work you/your students are conducting in a
living wiki-style environment. Once your research is posted you would be
sharing your work on a global scale - perhaps a good way to get others
interested, fulfill an educational component to a grant or even obtain
future funding! You will be able to edit your work as new discoveries
are made and upload new images/videos as technologies improve.

Please let me know if you are interested in learning more, by sending me
an email – sadiewadd at gmail.com .

If you haven't already taken a look at Google Earth, please go ahead and
download the latest version (5.0) and turn on the 'Explore the Ocean'
layer under 'Ocean' to see what we have been up to. You can also dive
into the ocean, (make sure you have the terrain layer on!), in areas
like Monterey Bay, Hawaii, and the Galapagos!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Sadie Waddington
Department of Geography