[MARMAM] data exploration paper

Highland Statistics Ltd. highstat at highstat.com
Wed Nov 25 08:22:19 PST 2009

Members of MARMAN involved in data analysis may be interested in the
following paper:

A protocol for data exploration to avoid common statistical problems
(2009). Alain F. Zuur, Elena N. Ieno  and Chris S. Elphick. Methods in
Ecology and Evolution.

Abstract:
1. While teaching statistics to ecologists, the lead authors of this
paper have noticed common statistical
problems. If a random sample of their work (including scientific papers)
produced before doing
these courses were selected, half would probably contain violations of
the underlying assumptions
of the statistical techniques employed.
2. Some violations have little impact on the results or ecological
conclusions; yet others increase
type I or type II errors, potentially resulting in wrong ecological
conclusions. Most of these violations
can be avoided by applying better data exploration. These problems are
especially troublesome
in applied ecology, where management and policy decisions are often at
stake.
3. Here, we provide a protocol for data exploration; discuss current
tools to detect outliers, heterogeneity
of variance, collinearity, dependence of observations, problems with
interactions, double
zeros in multivariate analysis, zero inflation in generalized linear
modelling, and the correct type of
relationships between dependent and independent variables; and provide
advice on how to address
these problems when they arise. We also address misconceptions about
normality, and provide
advice on data transformations.
4. Data exploration avoids type I and type II errors, among other
problems, thereby reducing the
chance of making wrong ecological conclusions and poor recommendations.
It is therefore essential
for good quality management and policy based on statistical analyses.

http://methodsblog.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/first-paper-now-online/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wordpress%2Fmethodsblog+(methods.blog)

Kind regards,

Alain Zuur

--

Dr. Alain F. Zuur
First author of:

1. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Smith, GM. Springer. 680 p.

2. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Walker, N, Saveliev, AA, and Smith, GM. Springer.
http://www.springer.com/life+sci/ecology/book/978-0-387-87457-9

3. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Meesters, EHWG. Springer
http://www.springer.com/statistics/computational/book/978-0-387-93836-3

Other books: http://www.highstat.com/books.htm

Statistical consultancy, courses, data analysis and software
Highland Statistics Ltd.
6 Laverock road
UK - AB41 6FN Newburgh
Tel: 0044 1358 788177