[MARMAM] paper on new pinniped virus

Elsa Maria Coria Galindo coriagalindo at yahoo.com.mx
Mon Nov 23 22:29:06 PST 2009

Dear MARMAM members:
I am glad to announce the publication of a paper about a new pinnped virus appeared in the Journal of Wildlife Diseases:

E.Coria-Galindo,E. Rangel-Huerta, A. Verdugo-Rodrıguez and D.Brousset. 2009. ROTAVIRUS INFECTIONS IN GALAPAGOS SEA LIONS.Journal of Wildlife Diseases 45(3): 722–728.

ABSTRACT: Group A rotaviruses infect and cause diarrhea in the young of a broad range of terrestrial mammals, but it is unknown, to our knowledge, whether they infect marine mammals. During February and March of 2002 and 2003, we collected 125 serum samples and 18 rectal swab samples from Galapagos sea lion pups (GSL, Zalophus wollebaeki), and 22 serum samples from Galapagos fur seal pups (GFS, Arctocephalus galapagoensis) from nine islands of the Galapagos archipelago, Ecuador. Sera were tested for antibodies (immunoglobulin G [IgG]) to rotavirus by an enzyme immunoassay using rhesus rotavirus as the capture antigen. In addition, rectal swabs were analyzed for the presence of rotavirus genomic double-stranded RNA by silver-stained polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. Antibodies to rotavirus were detected in 27 GSL pups (22%) and five GFS pups (23%), and rotavirus RNA was detected in the fecal sample from one GSL pup (6%). These results provide the first
 evidence that rotavirus infections are prevalent at an
early age in Galapagos sea lions and Galapagos fur seals.

For more information contact DVM Elsa Maria Coria-Galino: coriagalindo at yahoo.com.mx

      Encuentra las mejores recetas en Yahoo! Cocina.
http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/