[MARMAM] Position at Cornell University (BARN developer)
tpk8 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 12 09:18:06 PST 2009
This position is available in the Bioacoustics Research Program at
Cornell University - it has been posted on the Jobs at Cornell on-line
posting and application system at http://www.ohr.cornell.edu/jobs/
<http://www.ohr.cornell.edu/jobs/index.html> - if you know of anyone
that might be interested in this position, please have them apply. Here
is the direct link:
BARN Software Developer (11534)
Programmer Analyst II - Band E
2 positions available
· Contribute to the development and maintenance of web-based sound
analysis software tools and support ongoing and future research in the
field of animal bioacoustics at the Bioacoustics Research Program at the
Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Current scientific research projects
supported by our software involve the study of communication systems and
behavior in whales, elephants, migrating birds, endangered birds, and
· Under guidance of project lead, perform tasks to help move forward the
overall set of tools provided by the group through the BARN project,
http://barn.xbat.org <http://barn.xbat.org/>. The BARN project develops
tools to support the creation of networked annotated sound libraries.
Our web-based tools allow users to maintain and richly annotate sound
collections in support of their research.
· Collaborate with local and remote end users to answer questions,
investigate and recreate problems, and recommend resolutions.
· Meet with team to discuss solutions, take advice from lead regarding
the implementation of solutions.
· Implement data conversion utilities, user interface features, and
other software features designed by self or others to fit into
· Develop features to facilitate the acquisition, curation, scanning,
review, and reporting of acoustic data and metadata to support the field
of bioacoustics research.
· Tasks may include but are not limited to file upload methods; metadata
manipulation and storage; web browser-based user-initiated scan, review,
and reporting; integration of signal processing components into a
workflow; and development of tagging and filtering schemes.
RDBMS, MATLAB, LAMP, others as needed) to stretch the possibilities of
the system for the research community.
· Collaborate within a team environment to provide documentation to
developers and end users for the best ways to use the software.
· Provide consultation and training to staff, faculty, students, and
visiting research colleagues to use the innovative technologies
· Bachelor's degree with three to four years relevant experience or
· Experience maintaining source code using version control.
· Experience with software design and development using two or more of
the following technologies: Ruby (various frameworks and tools: Rails,
Processing.js), RDBMS (SQL, MySQL, SQLite, JDBC), MATLAB (signal, image
processing, data-visualization), LAMP maintenance and administration.
· Proven ability to learn new programming languages quickly.
· Experience with web-design for data-driven and/or multi-media
· Must be able to communicate technical language clearly in layman's
· Demonstrable skills in problem solving, critical thinking, and clear
written and oral communication.
· Ability to work well with a diverse group in a professional and
respectful work environment.
· Master's degree desired in computer science, computer engineering, or
related field preferred.
· Coursework in statistics, machine-learning, data-mining or database
· Experience applying and developing data-mining strategies and systems;
knowledge of analytical and statistical tools, as well as general tools
for graphing and figure drawing.
· Experience performing independent literature searches and scientific
· Experience writing software in Python, Java, and/or PHP.
· Experience working on software projects outside a classroom environment.
· Knowledge of and experience using XML.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM