[MARMAM] Six Beaked Whales stranded in Azores (URGENT)

Michael Stocker mstocker at msa-design.com
Sun Jun 28 04:38:02 PDT 2009

Dear Marc and all,

Of course we are sad to hear about this recent stranding. It is also
unfortunate that you didn't have the resources to perform necropsies on the
animals while they were still fresh to establish possible causes.  If the
animals were otherwise healthy in terms of body fat and physical vitality, I
would not exclude acoustical trauma as a possible cause.

 You mentioned that there were no military operations in the area coincident
to the strandings.  In cases like these we look to see if there are any
unusual acoustical sources within 200 miles and 24 hours of the event, under
the assumption that an acoustically compromised beaked whale can travel 200
miles in 24 hours if they are looking for a place to strand.

Michael Stocker

www.OCR.org

  _____