[MARMAM] Six Beaked Whales stranded in Azores (URGENT)

marc fernandez marc.fern at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 03:47:35 PDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I want to report an unusual situation occurred during the last week and a
half in São Miguel island, Azores, and ask for help in order to get some
clear conclusions.

During the last two weeks a total of *6 beaked whales stranded* on this
small island, a really unusual fact. Of these *6 two were dead and 4
stranded alive *and returned to the open sea. From the first two animals
(the dead ones) we only can get one identification and it was a Cuvier's
Beaked Whale, probably an immature male. The other four animals stranded on
a beach and they were returned to the sea immediately by the lifeguards and
the coastal guard, for these reason we don't have a lot of information, but
for the pictures they send us probably were Sowerby's Beaked Whales, we only
now that they stranded alive and probably they were immature animals also,
due to the body lenght (about 3.5 meters).

We don't have any notice about military activities in the area, but is
really difficult to get this kind of information, for this reason i want to
ask you for help to find if there is any military or seismic prospection on
the area that could affect these animals.

Thanks for your help.

All the best,

Marc Fernandez Morron
Universidade dos Açores