[MARMAM] head presentation of foetus in a porpoise

Pavel Gol'din pavelgoldin412 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 13:00:52 PDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

a few days ago I found a stranded dead pregnant harbor porpoise with
the foetus laying with the head (cephalic) presentation. As far as I
understand, it is a rather rare case for cetaceans. The most recent
review I have found in literature had been made by Slijper (1967).

Thus, I would be very grateful for your comments: do you know such
cases in phocoenids (especially, harbour porpoises) and/or any
published reports of such cases?

Please send your comments to the following address:
pavelgoldin412 at gmail.com

Thank you very much in advance,

Dr Pavel E. Gol'din,
Department of Zoology,
V.I. Vernadsky Taurida National University,
Simferopol, Ukraine