[MARMAM] We need marine mammal and bird sightings from Head Harbour Passage, Bay of Fundy

FundyArt art at bayoffundy.ca
Tue Jun 9 06:08:22 PDT 2009

Fundy Whale (fundywhale.blogspot.com) and I Love Quoddy Wild
(ilovequoddywild.blogspot) were developed to allow the community at
large to participate in enjoying and keeping track of our natural
assets; the marine mammals, birds, fish, and invertebrates that abound
throughout Quoddy. For the last few months we have been pleased to see
the response. Now we are attempting to map these natural "assets" so
that everyone is aware of this special place and we can compiled the
data in a more "formal" way. We have many of the historical records, but
would particularly like to have information from the last 10 years,
particularly north Atlantic right whale sightings at Head Harbour
entrance and passage as well as Friars Bay.

Why is this important? Well, there is little time, but we are trying to
accelerate our mapping development so that we can submit sighting data
from the Quoddy community to FERC's Environmental Impact Assessment for
the Downeast LNG proposal at Robbinston, ME, which must access their
proposed terminal through HHP. You can see the beginning of our online
mapping at either of the 2 blogs above.

Believe it or not, they seem to have missed the whales, seals, and birds
that use and NEED Head Harbour Passage, Cobscook Bay and the surrounding
Quoddy area in the Bay of Fundy.

If you have sighting data (species, when, where, numbers, comments)
please send them to this email or fundytides at gmail.com so we can provide
documentation that will indicate the importance of these vital resources.

There's an early July deadline.

Thanks Art