[MARMAM] Seal Bounties in Maine and Massachusetts, 1888 to 1962

Barbara Lelli blelli123 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 07:25:46 PDT 2009

Dear Marmamers,

We (Barbara Lelli, David E. Harris, and AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa) are
pleased to announce the publication of our paper in the latest issue of
Northeastern Naturalist,16(2):239–254, entitled “Seal Bounties in Maine and
Massachusetts, 1888 to 1962.” The abstract reads:

Abstract: Maine and Massachusetts paid bounties on seals during the 19th and
20th centuries. To determine the number of seals killed for bounty, we
examined
historical records of bounty claims, and used geographic information systems
and
multiple linear regression to find predictors of places where large numbers
of bounties
were paid. We found records of 24,831 bounties paid in Maine (1891–1945)
and 15,690 in Massachusetts (1888–1962). Considering possible fraud, missing
data, and seals struck and lost, this suggests that 72,284 to 135,498 seals
were
killed in the bounty hunt, probably enough to account for regional declines
in seal
populations. Larger numbers of bounties were paid where there were more
seals
and a higher human population.

For a .pdf of the paper, send an email to Barbara Lelli at
blelli123 at gmail.com.