[MARMAM] Common Dolphins Sighting

davide bedocchi bedocchid at yahoo.it
Wed Jul 29 08:18:55 PDT 2009

"Common Dolphins Sighting in the Tuscan Archipelago waters"

From: Davide Bedocchi - CE.TU.S. Cetacean Research Centre (Viareggio Italy)
          email: cetus at supereva.it or bedocchid at yahoo.it

Dear Colleagues,
In date July 21, 2009 we are pleased to annunce the sighting of three Short-Beaked Common Dolphins (Delphinus delphis) in the waters of the Tuscan Archipelago.
The Short-Beaked Common Dolphins were inside a group of about 200 Striped Dolphins (Stenella coeruleoalba) at a distance of about 8 miles North from Capraia Island. Date: 07/21/09 Time: 11.30 am. The dolphins were sighted and photographed by Lilia Giuntoli (CE.TU.S. biologist) from the Krill catamaran.
In the last two weeks the Krill catamarans of CE.TU.S., member of O.T.C. Cetacean Tuscan Observatory, during the weekly research activities sighted Bottlenose Dolphins, Striped Dolphins, Risso's Dolphins and finally Short-Beaked Common Dolphins. Common Dolphins  are now rare and endangered in all the Pelagos Santuary and our last sighting was dated Septemner 2005.
For details regarding the sighting, pictures or other informations pls do not hesitate to contact us.

Best and Kind Regards.

Davide Bedocchi
CE.TU.S. Cetacean Research Centre

 Dott. Davide Bedocchi - Naturalista
Direttore Culturale CE.TU.S.
Rappresentante CE.TU.S. presso l' O.T.C. Osservatorio Toscano dei Cetacei

CE.TU.S. - Centro di Ricerche sui Cetacei
Via Degli Ontani 60, 55049 Viareggio (LU) Italy

e-mail: bedocchid at yahoo.it
Mobile: +39 3287524380
www.cetusresearch.org