[MARMAM] Internship Opportunity

Quincy Gibson quincy at pacificwhale.org
Fri Jul 17 16:42:39 PDT 2009

Pacific Whale Foundation (Maui, Hawaii) is seeking interns for its Marine
Mammal Research Program. Pacific Whale Foundation is a non-profit
organization dedicated to protecting whales and other marine life through
research, education, and conservation.  Our researchers have studied whales
and dolphins throughout the Pacific for over 29 years and we currently
conduct projects in Hawaii, Australia and Ecuador.  To learn more, please
visit www.pacificwhale.org.

Pacific Whale Foundation is seeking dedicated individuals to assist with our
research efforts. Interns will work in the research lab at Pacific Whale
Foundation headquarters in Ma¹alaea, Maui.  Intern positions involve working
with our Research Staff to process and analyze data from our humpback whale
studies in Australia, as well as our odontocete (toothed whale & dolphin)
studies in Hawaii.  Tasks will include photo-identification matching of
whale flukes and/or dolphin dorsal fins, data entry, scanning archived slide
images, and other duties. Additional opportunities to assist with data
collection in the field and on the research vessel may become available.

No prior research experience is required; full training will be provided.
Applicants should have basic computer proficiency; experience with Excel and
Photoshop is preferred.  Attention to detail and the ability to work
independently as well as part of a team are also desired qualities.

Positions are available immediately and will remain open until filled.
Accepted applicants will be expected to work a minimum of 30 hours per week
for a 6-week period.  Shorter durations will be considered on a case-by-case
basis.  As a reward for their hard work, interns will be offered a
complimentary ticket for a snorkeling/dolphin watching eco-tour each week.
There is no financial compensation for these positions and interns are
responsible for their own living and transportation expenses. Shared intern
housing is available for a reasonable fee.

To apply, please send a cover letter, current resume, and two letters of
recommendation to research at pacificwhale.org.  If you prefer to mail your
application, all materials should be sent to:

Research Department
Pacific Whale Foundation
300 Ma¹alaea Rd., Ste. 211
Wailuku, HI  96793