[MARMAM] More information and links for the African manatee conservation training workshop

Caryn Self-Sullivan caryn_sullivan at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 13 07:13:32 PDT 2009

The deadline for nominations is August 10th!  Please feel forward this to
any of your West African colleagues who may not be on this list!

Since attachments are not allowed on the Marmam or Sirenian Listservers,
I've put more information and nomination forms online at Sirenian
International's Facebook page, located here:
 <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42708759266>
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42708759266

Direct links to the forms are here:
 <http://www.sirenian.org/2009Announcement.doc>
http://www.sirenian.org/2009Announcement.doc

<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sirenian.org%2F2009Nominat
ionForm.doc&h=cd4ff1a9ff70653b974ee64d2d14cdcf>
http://www.sirenian.org/2009NominationForm.doc
 <http://www.sirenian.org/2009Flyer.pdf>
http://www.sirenian.org/2009Flyer.pdf

We are pleased to announce the 3rd and final year of West African Manatee
Research Training Programme. This is an opportunity for African scientists
to participate in the Earthwatch/NCRC West African manatee community
conservation and research project on the Afram Arm of Volta Lake, Ghana.
Over the past 2 years we have trained 15 individuals from 8 West African
countries.

In 2009 we will be running 2 teams:

Team 1: 18th - 31st October 2009

Team 2: 15th - 29th November 2009

Earthwatch has funding to bring 8 West African scientists and
conservationists to join each training expedition.  The Earthwatch Capacity
Development Programme covers the costs of the training and all travel
expenses to/from the rendezvous site in Accra, Ghana.  However, all Fellows
MUST commit to the entire 2-week training programme.

We are targeting nationals in West African countries who already have an
interest in manatee research and conservation or who have the potential to
start a West African manatee conservation research project in their own
country.  Following last year's success, we are especially interested in
hosting young and/or female scientists.

Training includes: Introduction to the Order Sirenia, History of Manatee
Evolution, Manatee Field Research Techniques, Field research equipment and
data sheets training;  Manatee Genetics, Manatee habitat measurements and
water quality analysis and Conservation Strategies for the Protection of
Sirenians.

Training seminars and field work will be done each day.  Our work in Volta
Lake is done under primitive and hot conditions (huts and tents) from a
remote field station near a small village on the northern coast of the Afram
Arm of Volta Lake.  Last year, highlights of the expedition included a
football match and special ceremony in the adjacent village.

If you would like to apply for this training opportunity, please contact
sstauntonlamb at earthwatch.org.uk  Nomination forms must be completed and
submitted by 10th August 2009

Cheers from Earthwatch, Nature Conservation Research Centre, Dr. Patrick
Ofori-Dansen, Lucy Keith and Caryn Self-Sullivan

About Earthwatch

Earthwatch is an international environmental charity which is committed to
conserving the diversity and integrity of life on earth to meet the needs of
current and future generations.  Our mission is to engage people worldwide
in scientific field research and education to promote the understanding and
action necessary for a sustainable environment.

Earthwatch has a global reach, with offices in Oxford (UK), Boston (USA),
Melbourne (Australia) and Tokyo (Japan).

Website: www.earthwatch.org/europe

About NCRC

Nature Conservation Research Centre (NCRC) is recognized internationally as
a leader in developing rural ecotourism and community protected areas as a
means of economic development and resource conservation. NCRC's initiatives
have facilitated sustainable economic development in scores of poor rural
areas of Ghana and other nations in West Africa. Founded in Ghana in 1996,
NCRC has grown rapidly to become Ghana's leading indigenous conservation
organisation, as well as a key actor in West African civil society.

Website: http://www.ncrc-ghana.org/

About Sirenian International

Sirenian International, Inc., is a organization of grassroots people who
share a dedication to manatee & dugong research, education, and conservation
through inter-cultural collaboration. We are a partnership of scientists,
students, educators, conservationists, and the public. We believe in the
process of integrating science, education, and culture to catalyze positive
change in our shared environment, Mother Earth

Website: http://www.sirenian.org/

About Wildlife Trust:
Wildlife Trust is an international organization of scientists dedicated to
the conservation of biodiversity.  For more than 35 years, Wildlife Trust
has focused its efforts on conservation. Today, we are known for our
innovative research on the intricate relationships between wildlife,
ecosystems and human health. Wildlife Trust Research Scientist Lucy Keith is
the lead on West African manatee projects and currently conducts research in
Gabon, Angola, Senegal and is in the process of building a collaborative
partnership for manatee genetics with researchers from 15 West African
countries.
Website: http://www.wildlifetrust.org/edge_of_the_sea/project.shtml