[MARMAM] noise monitoring, especially noise mapping and modeling

Karsten Brensing karsten.brensing at wdcs.org
Mon Jul 6 00:05:34 PDT 2009

Dear Marmamers,

in the light of European Marine Strategy Framework Directive (DIRECTIVE 2008/56/EC) I'm conducting a feasibility study concerning noise (descriptor 11) for the German Federal Environment Agency (http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/uba-info-e/index.htm) . I'm searching for all information's concerning noise monitoring especially noise mapping and modelling in the marine environment and would be happy for any support.

I am aware of the following projects (see below) but I would be happy for any further links. I'm especially interested in people who would like to share their experience or in companies which could be helpful.

Thanks in advanced and

kind regards

Karsten Brensing

(please respond directly to my e mail address: karsten.brensing at wdcs.org)

Incomplete list of project:

*          Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary (Boston, USA): http://stellwagen.noaa.gov/science/passive_acoustics.html

*          Orcalab (Vancouver Island, Kanada): www.orcalab.org <http://www.orcalab.org/>

*          PUGET SOUNDSCAPE (Seattle, USA): http://homepage.mac.com/brettbecker/soundscape/pugetsoundscape.html

*          Scripps whale acoustic lab: http://cetus.ucsd.edu/projects_Main.html

*          Monitoring Underwater Noise Melbourne: http://www.channelproject.com.au/global/docs/EMON_080205_Monitoring_Underwater_Noise.pdf

*          Ocean Tracking Network (Dalhousie University, Kanada): http://www.oceantrackingnetwork.org <http://www.oceantrackingnetwork.org/>

*          University of Catalunia: www.lab.upc.es/mapa

*          TNO: Assessment of natural and anthropogenic sound sources and acoustic propagation in the North Sea

Dr. Karsten Brensing
Conservation Manager Germany
WDCS, the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (www.wdcs-de.org) <http://www.wdcs-de.org>

WDCS

Altostr.43

81245 München

Germany

Tel.:    + 49   89 4581 9943

Fax:    + 49   89 6100 2394

Mobil:  + 49 176 2267 5679

E-Mail. karsten.brensing at wdcs.org

karstenbre -->www.skype.com

**

Die Tagung der Internationalen Walfangkommission (IWC) ist vorbei, aber der Kampf gegen den Walfang dauert an: www.wdcs-de.org <http://www.wdcs-de.org/>

**

WDCS is the global voice for the protection of whales, dolphins and their environment.

Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society "WDCS": Registered in England and Wales No. 2737421 WDCS, Brookfield House, 38 St. Paul street, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN!5 1LJ. Registered Charity No. 1014705. Tel: 01249 449500 Fax: 01249449501

WDCS Shop is a trading name of WDCS (Trading) Limited (Registered in England No. 2593116) which is a wholly owned subsidiary of WDCS, the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (Charity No. 1014705) and gift aids all post tax profits to the charity.

WDCS Wildlife Centre: Spey Bay, Moray, IV32 7PJ. Tel: 01343 820339 Fax: 01343 829065

WDCS Australasia: WDCS, PO Box 720, Port Adelaide Business Centre, South Australia, Australia 5015. Tel: 1300 360 442 Fax: 08 8242 1595

WDCS Deutschland: WDCS, Altostraße 43, D-81245, München. Tel: 089 6100 2393 Fax: 089 6100 2394

WDCS North America: 7 Nelson Street, Plymouth, MA 02360-4044 Tel: 1.888.MYWHALE (1.888.699.4253)

WDCS South America: Potosi 2087, B1636BUA- Olivos, Buenos Aires . Tel: +5411 47963191

Please note that WDCS email accounts will NOT accept attachments larger than 3Mb. If you need to send files to this addressee please contact them for alternative arrangements. This e-mail's contents are confidential to the intended recipient(s) at the e-mail address to which it has been sent. It may not be disclosed, copied to, circulated or used by anyone other than the intended addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient or have received this transmission in error please telephone the originator immediately or ring +44 (0)1249 449500. Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of WDCS.