[MARMAM] Vessel-Quieting Symposium Report Available

Brandon Southall Brandon.Southall at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 23 15:11:14 PST 2009

Colleagues,

The final report from NOAA's 2007 international vessel-quieting
symposium on quieting is now available at:
<http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/acoustics/shipnoise.htm>.  The suggested
reference for this report is: /Southall, B. L. and A. Scholik-Schlomer.
2008.  Final report of the// NOAA International Conference: "Potential
Application of Vessel-Quieting Technology on Large Commercial Vessels,"
1-2 May, 2007, Silver Spring, MD, U.S.A.**/

This meeting was instrumental in advancing the discussions and
involvement of various industry, scientific, conservation, and other
interests, both domestically and internationally. One of the
recommendations, calling for engaging the International Maritime
Organization on this issue, has come to fruition since the meeting; IMO
now includes a formal correspondence group (chaired by the U.S.) on
shipping noise and marine mammals.

I would like to thank all the participants, speakers, and other
contributors to this meeting, as well as the report co-author (Amy
Scholik).  Your efforts contributed to the success of the symposium,
which will be seen as a critical step in the history of the important
issue of how we address environmental impacts of incidental noise from
large ships.  There has been subsequent progress arising from this
symposium in a collaborative meeting hosted by our colleagues at Okeanos
-- Stiftung für das Meer (Foundation for the Sea), which is refered to
within the report; they also assisted in supporting the 2007 symposium.

Please let me know if I may provide any further information regarding
progress since this meeting, particularly on continuing efforts within IMO.

Sincerely,
Brandon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brandon L. Southall, Ph.D.