[MARMAM] Petersburg Marine Mammal Center Internship Opportunity
jeff at siphonophore.com
Wed Jan 21 12:19:14 PST 2009
Petersburg Marine Mammal Center Internship Opportunity
Located in Petersburg, Alaska’s Little Norway, this project takes
place on Mitkof Island in the heart of the Tongass National Forest.
Petersburg is also known as the Whale Research Capital of Alaska
because of the many world renown marine mammal researchers who use
Petersburg as a base of operation.
PMMC is a non-profit organization formed in 1998 to “assist research
efforts and be a depository for information on research and sightings
of marine mammals in Southeast Alaska”. We have a small center located
in the Viking Travel Building Which is on Main Street in downtown
Petersburg. The center is manned by interns during the summer months
and the Board of Directors carries out the functions of PMMC year-round.
This intern program allows students the opportunity to earn college
credit while learning about marine mammals and serving the public.
Indoor exhibits, including an interactive computer kiosk, focus on
marine mammal life history and distribution. Two interns will be
working at the Center staggered shifts for seven days out a week where
the work includes, but is not limited to:
· Staff the Center during open hours. Manage operations, sales and
· Interpret Alaska marine mammal information for Center visitors
· Assist and help coordinate where possible with researchers using
· Prepare/deliver Alaska marine mammal presentations to visitors
and small groups.
· Facilitate community outreach and public education of Alaska
Two 8-10 week Intern positions are available beginning mid-June
through August 31st.
The volunteer will be accommodated in Forest Service housing near the
center of town, making it easy to access to the community and to the
· must be in an internship program through an accredited university
· physically fit
· desire to gain skills in the environmental education field
· interested in working with visitors
· possess an interest in working on small projects for the Center
· possess a positive attitude!
Travel (contingent/negotiable) to and from Petersburg to Seattle or
Anchorage, lodging, and $300/ month (taxable stipend). Occasional
trips to observe marine mammals and other trips with Board of
Directors tour operators on a space and time available basis. Other
perks are included in the prospectus.
Application Procedure and Deadline
Applications deadline is February 28th, 2009 and successful
applicant(s) will be notified by March 15th, 2009.
Internship Prospectus and Application PDF can be downloaded from the
Please address all questions to the center at info at psgmmc.org
6620 Michaels Dr.
Bethesda, MD 20817
jeff at siphonophore.com
More information about the MARMAM